MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: windows wont load
October 17, 2019, 06:41:00 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 17, 2019, 06:41:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: windows wont load  (Read 1601 times)
shenron

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2004, 10:41:26 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:xp sp1
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:homemade,p4 ht 3gig,asus p4p800sx mobo,1024meg ddr 400 ram,pny verto fx5200 128meg graphics,80gig seagate hdd master,160gig maxtor slave new.
Error Messages:

Unit worked for a couple of weeks ,after a couple of minor initial startup probs,but when i loaded asus pc probe and pc-cillin it wouldnt get past loading my personal settings,got it to safe mode but couldnt unload these 2 progs then it went downhill each time the amount i got into windows lessened until now it completes post and at the slightest hint of windows it reboots ?? suspect hdd [seagate] doesnt spin up,but would like info on it.This 2nd comp has a good hdd but is fat32 can i swop to ntfs to accomodate the new 160gig hdd without losing its info.Also have put xp on new hdd but this wont load jus get black screen.I realise theres alot here but I would appreciate any help.Huh?
Thnx all.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2004, 10:45:45 PM by Ageless » Logged

Zedd

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 01:12:17 AM »

First off check the power connection to the hard drive. If the hard drive isn't spinning that could be to blame. Try switching which cord from the power supply goes to it.

If that doesn't help download this tool fron Seagate. Burn it onto a floppy or CD, then boot to it on the computer with the bad hard drive. Have it try to scan the bad drive.

If all else fails put the drive in a sealed plastic bag and put it in your freezer for about half an hour. This might jump start the drive (don't ask me why) for enough time to get the information you need off of it. Then send it in to segate as it should be under warrenty.

Good luck.

Zedd
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My Rig:

-AMD Athlon 64 FX-51 Processor - Not Overclocked
-Asus SK8V Motherboard Skt 940
-2 GB Corsair Registered TWINX1024-3200 XMS3200
-120 GB Maxtor DiamondMax Plus
-80 GB Storage drive
-73 GB Western Digital Raptor 10,000 RPM SATA
Hard Drive
-256 MB ATI Radeon 9800 PRO Video Card
-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Sound Card
-Creative Labs SBS 4.1 Speaker System
-Pioneer DVR-A07 DVD-R/W +R/W
-Samsung SW-252FENB/SW-252SENB
Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2004, 09:18:44 PM »

If you just want to hang the 2nd harddrive in with the 160GB harddrive, you don't need to change it to NTFS. Windows XP is capable of reading FAT(16), FAT32 and NTFS without a problem.

What I don't completely get is your spin up problem. If a harddrive doesn't spin up completely, it won't even get through POST, no Windows bootup. That's if it is master, at least. If that drive is slave, Windows should still boot up without a problem, you're just missing a harddrive...

Jord.
shenron

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 07:30:19 PM »

Thnx for your suggestions.

I,ve managed to get the seagate master to run on this[2nd] computer as a slave unit and i can access its files ok but in the new comp as a master it only goes as far as finishing the windows loading screen with the rolling bar on then just b4 the screen loads for me to enter my password i get a blue screen flash up for a quarter of a second[not long enough to read]and it reboots.Is it possible to reload windows on this drive as a slave unit to see if it overcomes this problem or is it something else??Sad
Ta.

Zedd

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2004, 02:57:31 AM »

Well if the problem is that Windows won't load when booting from it, chances are it is a Windows problem. Set the drive to slave in your computer, boot from another hard drive, and get anything you need off of it. Then you can set it to master in your other computer, don't forget to change your jumers, and reinstall Windows on it.

Good luck.

Zedd
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My Rig:

-AMD Athlon 64 FX-51 Processor - Not Overclocked
-Asus SK8V Motherboard Skt 940
-2 GB Corsair Registered TWINX1024-3200 XMS3200
-120 GB Maxtor DiamondMax Plus
-80 GB Storage drive
-73 GB Western Digital Raptor 10,000 RPM SATA
Hard Drive
-256 MB ATI Radeon 9800 PRO Video Card
-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Sound Card
-Creative Labs SBS 4.1 Speaker System
-Pioneer DVR-A07 DVD-R/W +R/W
-Samsung SW-252FENB/SW-252SENB
shenron

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 01:10:44 PM »

Thanks zed and jee.
Ive got the bugger working ,looks like it may have been a windows fault.Just struggling now formatting the new maxtor hdd up to its full capacity[32gig only].Plus the processor runs at about 50% all the time ,like now online with only this page running and the keyboard gives the wrong uppercase symbols ie @ comes out as [] on the @ key.
Ta.

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2004, 04:24:39 PM »

Answers on a postcard about the 32GB problem. Smiley

Your keys not working correctly is most probably because you've set the Country and keyboard both to the English/USA, whereas your country/language should be English/UK. Check that through Control Panel->Keyboard->Driver Locales.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 04:26:39 PM by Ageless » Logged

Jord.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: