MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: wont boot after upgrade
November 20, 2019, 10:16:13 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2019, 10:16:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: wont boot after upgrade  (Read 1325 times)
nouru

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2004, 07:06:41 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:winXP pro
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

P4 1.5Ghz
256mb ddr
40gb hdd
riva tnt card Huh?(hey, im not a power user...)

ok i change my video card today to geforce4 mx4000. after i got the card in, my pc just wont boot. the power indicator didnt light up, but the hdd indicator did. i tried checking the connections, everything is fine, but it still wont boot. it only boot when i tucked my old video card back in.

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 08:43:42 PM »

That means you are either underpowered, get a Power Supply Unit of at least 300W,
or what is more likely, your motherboard doesn't come with an AGP slot that can do AGP8x. As far as I can find, this videocard is one of those that can only do AGP8x, nothing lower.

Jord.
nouru

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 03:08:38 PM »

my power supply is 350w. and the card specs said it can support agp 4x. so, the spec is wrong?

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2004, 03:40:46 PM »

Oh, I don't know. Most sites I checked at the time said it was AGP8x only. If nVidia says it's 4x/8x though, you can believe them.

Still sounds like a power problem though. But, do make sure that in the BIOS the AGP output is set to automatic, before you change the videocards. Else it may still be stuck on 2x, which your new card can't do.

Jord.
nouru

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2004, 04:06:10 PM »

doublechecked on that too. and i changed the power supply too. maybe its the mobo. the intergrated graphics doesnt work as well.

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2004, 05:04:39 PM »

Ah, but talking about integrated graphics, I should say sorry I didn't ask about that.
I stupidly assumed the TNT was an add-on card. Please correct me if I was on the right track there.

Anyway, did you ever disable the onboard graphics? That can be done either through the BIOS or by a jumper on the motherboard. Or did you just disable it in Windows?

Jord.
nouru

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2004, 01:33:18 PM »

i've already disable it on the mobo b4 i change the card... thats y i guess it was the mobo. should i get a new mobo? oh, and i tried the card  on another mobo that support up to agp 4x, and it worked just fine...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2004, 01:38:26 PM by nouru » Logged

redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2004, 03:54:10 PM »

Did you disable it in the BIOS as well?
If it's disabled by a jumper, but still related to in the BIOS, it might be interfering with your new card.

nouru

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2004, 12:30:16 PM »

yup. the bios seems 2 b the prob. i changed the bios config, it didnt seems to work at first, then i had to flash it. ok PROBLEM SOLVED!!!! thx guys!!!!;)

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: