MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: System Failure, I think it may be video card...
November 21, 2019, 01:31:53 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2019, 01:31:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: System Failure, I think it may be video card...  (Read 8454 times)
Zoobee

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2004, 10:51:37 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: XPpro SP2
Problem Application Name & Version: Nvidia drivers(I'm almost sure it is)
Problem Hardware Make & Model: Nvidia GeForce FX-5200
Error Messages: System Failure(restart)

Ok here's the problem, I noticed a good while back that my system had problems with the video card drivers for xp from the nvidia site. XP then found alternative ones and installed via windows update.

There is nothing wrong with anything else on my machine, no spyware/adware/viruses/trojan's/any old messy stuff. Now with the computer rebooting I always ignored the error log, a couple of days back I looked at it and it said it was a device driver when it reported back. However it could not tell me of a solution or indeed which driver it was.

I am unable to pinpoint it exactly as the problem has been for a while. The reason I think it is a video card driver is becuase of the problems I have playing games ie, spiderman the movie(steel_debug error) & Call of Duty(it closes down and changes the display mode of my moniter and I am unable to change it without manually restarting it). Football manager gives me an error and minimizes, & emulators close.

So going by these events, I am almost certain my system failure is due to the video card and/or it's drivers.

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 12:45:38 PM »

Hey Zoobee
Your probably right, have you checked in the Device Manager to see if there was a problem? Have you tried a different video card? You could try and take out the card and clean the dust off the fan blades. But if your pc is stating a driver issue that probably wouldnt help. I would try another card.

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 03:01:06 PM »

I did look in device manager, only things were the realtek... lan that was onboard it had an x over it, only becuase I installed a network card for my ps2 and the onboard conflicted(funny thing, there was the realtek lan onboard the motherboard but no rj-45)

I was thinking of another card, but I want one that is designed for XP. A high end one if possible for under 100
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 03:03:54 PM by Zoobee » Logged

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 03:10:52 PM »

Did this happen after you installed SP2?
Did your pc have XP pro on it or did you do an upgrade?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 03:11:55 PM by Geekgirl » Logged

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2004, 03:12:48 PM »

It was a clean install, the problem with the drivers happened both before and after the installation of sp2.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 03:16:33 PM by Zoobee » Logged

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 03:20:44 PM »

quote:
It happened before and after. Although I have heard on other forums people having problems with SP2...

Before and after SP2 or the upgrade....lol  Im assuming you mean SP2 Grin

Have you checked the Nvidia site for your drivers instead of using the Microsoft XP drivers?

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2004, 03:34:23 PM »

Right just to clear up the last two posts as I posted then u edited then I edited whilst you posted.

XP pro was a clean install. The problem has been existent regardless of SP2 and is still there.(I hope that cleared that up, cuz i'm confussed lol.)

Anyways back to the point, The initial driver was from Nvidia, I got a message on my PC saying that it wasn't digitally signed or some **** like that from MS. It told me I could keep them or go to Windows Update, naturally not being to familiar with the situation I got frightened and didnt want my computer to fail bcuz the driver wasn't signed or w/e by MS. I went to windows update and dl'ed and installed there drivers.

And then it started, and it has not stopped since it reared its head with SP1.

So I don't know if I would have this problem if I had chosen to keep the Nvidia drivers. So my best bet now would be to just go to Nvidia and get the latest drivers, right. If I do that, how do I uninstall the video card drivers already installed?

Thanks ever so much for the help.

Zoobee

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2004, 03:53:25 PM »

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_66.93

That is the latest driver. Um this may seem pointless, and I have got a generally good knowledge of computers(not as good as you guys though). What is WHQL certified, and shall I get the international or US. English version? As I am from the UK, and the international one is significantly bigger in size.

Zoobee

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2004, 04:01:38 PM »

Sorry me again, I am thanking you for pointing me to the obvious.

It says at the nvidia site to disable anti virus when installing as they stop the drivers from configuring correctly. It also says to uninstall(and how to) old drivers and make sure not to use download accelaraters when downloading. So I will do that.

Thanks geekgirl, sorry for the time, as I said you pointed me to what should have been obvious.

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2004, 04:35:07 PM »

Then the answer to what WHQL is: It's Microsoft's Windows Hardware Qualitly Labs drivers, meaning that Microsoft got drivers sent from a maker and tested them on various of their OSes under all kinds of conditions to see if they function ok. They then get digitally signed and labeled WHQL.

Yet because this testing costs a) a lot of time and b) a lot of money, the hardware makers don't send in their drivers every month to Microsoft to have them tested etc.
That's why you won't see WHQL drivers every driver update on the nVidia site.

It's perfectly OK to use non signed drivers, though. Your Windows won't blow up, your videocard won't fry, or anything like that. Smiley

As for the international drivers being bigger in size, that's just because they have localisation included. Meaning they can be run under other (non-English) language versions of Windows, in that language. i.e. German, Dutch, French etc.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 04:37:45 PM by Ageless » Logged

Jord.
Zoobee

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2004, 10:25:28 PM »

Ok thanks Jee, I just got freaked when windows told me it might be dangerous. However now I have discovered that my video card is at home to a few conflicts, I updated the driver and everything but here is the list of conflicts.

System Information report written at: 12/14/04 22:21:41
System Name: COLIN-9J88ETF12
[Conflicts/Sharing]

Resource   Device   
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7   PCI bus   
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7   Direct memory access controller   

I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF   NVIDIA nForce2 AGP Host to PCI Bridge   
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF   NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200    

IRQ 20   Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller   
IRQ 20   NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio Codec Interface   

Memory Address 0xEC000000-0xEDFFFFFF   NVIDIA nForce2 AGP Host to PCI Bridge   
Memory Address 0xEC000000-0xEDFFFFFF   NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200    

Memory Address 0xE0000000-0xE7FFFFFF   NVIDIA nForce2 AGP Host to PCI Bridge   
Memory Address 0xE0000000-0xE7FFFFFF   NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200    

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF   PCI bus   
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF   NVIDIA nForce2 AGP Host to PCI Bridge   
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF   NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200    

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB   NVIDIA nForce2 AGP Host to PCI Bridge   
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB   NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200    

I/O Port 0x0000C000-0x0000CFFF   PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge   
I/O Port 0x0000C000-0x0000CFFF   Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC #2   

Memory Address 0xEE000000-0xEEFFFFFF   PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge   
Memory Address 0xEE000000-0xEEFFFFFF   Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC #2   

Could any of these be the problem, and if you can help me in any way fix them I would be most grateful.

Zoobee

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2004, 10:48:14 PM »

I have also saved log files of the system and applications. If any of them point to a problem or what not please help me if at all possible.

As I do not want to reformat this machine yet again(it didn't fix it last time)

Download Attachment: application log.txt
200.2 KB

Download Attachment: system log.txt
35.16 KB

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2004, 11:03:42 PM »

No, what I need is your motherboard make & model, please. I can see it's an nForce2, but the manufacturer would be cool.

Jord.
Zoobee

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2004, 09:56:40 AM »

Motherboard is a Giga-byte, the actual model has been discontinued though but it is in the GA 7N400 series, If you need the exact model I will need to be at home but in the manual it lists it as the manual for 3 motherboards in that series.

On the Gigabyte site, this model is closest to mine. I am near enough sure it is that one... but the store said it was discontinued when I got it.

GA-7N400-L, difference is mine doesn't have an RJ-45 port, although it had onboard lan I installed a driver with the board. I don't know what COM ports or LPT ports are but everything else matches.

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2004, 12:17:27 PM »

The standard 7N400 doesn't have onboard LAN, only onboard sound. The Realtek driver it may have installed is the audio driver. Realtek makes LAN chips and boards as well. Maybe that that confused you. Wink

The COM ports are external communication ports for external modems, or to communicate with other computers over a null-modem cable. The LPT port is the standard printer port.

I was checking your BIOS updates, to see if there was any update on AGP problems, but none that I could see, so that'll be okay.

As for the sharing of memory, it's almost natural for the AGP card and the AGP bus to share memory, since they need to communicate in that way with eachother. Since the AGP bus is in reality a double clocked PCI bus (66 cycles against 33 cycles), I don't see anything there to worry about.

XP is very much capable of sharing interrupts (IRQs), so that's also out of the loop. Since there are only 16 real IRQs in any computer, with only about 4 of them free at any time you start to set up a system, you can see how quickly IRQ sharing will be used. Before you say you have at least 20 IRQs, believe me, you don't. IRQs 0 to 15 is all you really have, but 16 to x are cascading off of IRQ9. So everything you see above 15 is really shared on IRQ9.

There is no real way to unshare these IRQs. You may want to try to move a PCI card to another slot, but that would hardly make a difference on an already filled computer.

So, leaving that, what are the application errors and that one system error you have in your logs? Can you at least outline the system error you had?

Jord.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 

Jump to: