MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Want to update my BIOS
November 12, 2019, 10:49:40 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 12, 2019, 10:49:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Want to update my BIOS  (Read 3371 times)
ArtSluver

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2004, 08:24:55 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Win 98SE
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

Hi,

I want to update the BIOS on my motherboard but have never done it and don't know how.

I believe it can be identified as
08/24/1999-i440bx-w83977-2a69ka1uc-mu

When I looked around it seemed that the only options were pay options, but that can't be the case.

Thanks, Arthur

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 09:21:10 AM »

An Intel 440BX board. Haven't seen those in a while yet. Although if nothing seems to be wrong with your current BIOS, everything works as it should, why would you want to update it? Usually you only update the BIOS if a feature is broken. If everything works okay, just leave it be. You can easier break a perfectly good board with a wrong BIOS update.

But if you want to persevere, then please use CPUZ for the full motherboard name and model.

Jord.
ArtSluver

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2004, 07:34:36 AM »

Hi,

I was hoping to get my USB keyboard and mouse to be recognized earlier than the last thing loaded. Right now if the computer hangs the only option is to press the reset button as ctrl alt delete doesn't work like the old style keyboard.

Also if I want to go into the bios I have to use a different keyboard with the old attachment - not usb.

Would a BIOS update solve this dilemma? I think I am looking for something called legacy support?

I used the CPU-Z program to identify everything, but what next?

Thanks, Art

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2004, 05:49:31 PM »

You tell us what you identified. Wink

Jord.
ArtSluver

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2004, 09:19:09 AM »

Hi,

Here is the info from the program. My video card will make you laugh, good old 8bit ati, since my better one died. Can you take a look at what it says and let me know where to go next, or if anything looks out of place how to fix it.

Cheers, Art

Number of CPUs 1

Name Intel Pentium III
Code Name Katma

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2004, 01:04:14 PM »

The Abit BE6, those were the days. All BIOS updates for this board, plus how to do it. Although I still wonder why you would want to do it, but for in case you want to plug in another CPU.

Jord.
ArtSluver

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2004, 10:37:28 PM »

Hi Jord,

I don't know why you don't understand why I would want to do a BIOS update? Will this BIOS update not make the USB keyboard and mouse always usable? Or will they still only be loaded after everything else? and therefore unable to use for things like "control alt delete". I just hate having to reset the computer when it hangs because it no longer sees the keyboard.

Also, what do you mean by a second processor?

Thanks, Arthur

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2004, 12:17:44 PM »

Read the descriptions of the new BIOSes. None will change the USB functionality. Which may be more of a Windows 98SE & drivers problem, than an actual USB problem. Or you've forgot to disable the USB power saving option, which may cause what you describe.

The only thing of notice is in the PV version of the BIOS: Improves the power on funtion by mouse right/left botton after shoutting down the system under Win98SE.
We're all shouting at our PC at times, but this is excessive. Wink

What I meant with "another CPU" is: You now have a 500MHz Slot1 Pentium3. With the last BIOS update you can insert a 700MHz P3 Slot1 CPU, if you can find one.

The last BIOS update has all the updates prior to that included, so all you need is the last one, TH if I am not mistaken.

Jord.
ArtSluver

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2004, 09:08:17 PM »

Hi,

Ok, if nothing there will improve my USB complaint then I shall stick with the devil I know then as I don't need another way to turn on the PC.

If it is a windows 98 thing then I can do nothing about it as the OS is 100% up to date with windows update.

Now the USB power saving option, I will check and see how that is set. Is that in my BIOS? or in win 98se?

Thanks for all your help, I am learning something.

I just lost my videocard recently, it burnt up after the fan went, it was a 32mb creative. Right now I have a 8mb ATI3D in, but it crashes on lots of web sites. Can you think of any video cards still on the market that I can plug into this. Apparently the AGP 2x is a problem limiting me from what I can use. Someone also said there may be a voltage difference and I might burn out the new video card as they use less juice.

Arthur

quote:
Originally posted by Jee

Read the descriptions of the new BIOSes. None will change the USB functionality. Which may be more of a Windows 98SE & drivers problem, than an actual USB problem. Or you've forgot to disable the USB power saving option, which may cause what you describe.

The only thing of notice is in the PV version of the BIOS: Improves the power on funtion by mouse right/left botton after shoutting down the system under Win98SE.
We're all shouting at our PC at times, but this is excessive. Wink

What I meant with "another CPU" is: You now have a 500MHz Slot1 Pentium3. With the last BIOS update you can insert a 700MHz P3 Slot1 CPU, if you can find one.

The last BIOS update has all the updates prior to that included, so all you need is the last one, TH if I am not mistaken.

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2005, 05:35:32 AM »

The USB power saving is an option in the Device Manager, under Universal Serial Bus controllers. The Power Saving tab should be under the controller or USB hub available.

I wouldn't even try to put a latest videocard into a 440BX motherboard. If you want my opinion, save this computer for backups and/or a server, just save up for something newer. You don't need the latest of the latest (expensive), just something a little bit more into the 21st century. Smiley

Jord.
ArtSluver

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2005, 11:29:11 AM »

Ok, thanks for everything.

I had hoped to get a better video card for the interim, but if it isn't possible to do so I will have to live with the buggy one I have, and wait to get a new machine.

Cheers!

batook

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2005, 01:32:59 AM »

Hi,
I have the same chipset/Southbridge in my motherboard as ArtSluver (i440BX/ZX and 82371(PII4x). But CPU-Z doesn't detect my motherboard manufacturer or Model. Is there any other way to find this out? This is an old gateway I think.
The reason I want to know is because I am trying to upgrade the RAM in this computer. Right now it has 1-64MB PC-100 at 2-2-2-5, but there are 2 more slots. I tried replacing the 64MB with a Corsair 256MB w/ ECC, but it didnt work. Not sure if the larger size or the ECC was the problem. Anyway, I want to maybe try 128MB non-ECC chips, but I'd like to be sure they will work before I buy them. I also need to know what configuations will work, like could I put all 3 slots with 128MB, or maybe it will only let 2 slots have 128MB and then 1 empty. Or maybe 2 slots with 64MB and 1 with 128. I don't know, and I need help.
Thanks in advance,
-Batook

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2005, 01:23:20 PM »

If CPU-Z doesn't work then you'll probably have to open up your case and have a look at the mobo for any stickers or markings that'll tell you what it is.

Ross

You can't hug people with nuclear arms
prof100
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2005, 07:16:33 PM »

hi i just wanted to say if u want to view your bios date shutdown your pc and press f1to f9 coz i don't remember which 1 to press!thanks
Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2005, 07:36:50 PM »

Unlike the name does suggest, prof100, ladies and gentlemen, is nowhere near as professional as he sounds. Please ignore his advice and inform the Admin of any intrusions he makes in your threads.

Thank you.

Jord.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: