MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Resource problem and Lost contact with Ultrabase
November 21, 2019, 12:17:55 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2019, 12:17:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  New Poll on our main page!
"My experience with Vista..."
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Resource problem and Lost contact with Ultrabase  (Read 4373 times)
xocal

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2004, 02:32:06 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:98se
Problem Application Name & Version:Ultrabase
Problem Hardware Make & Model:IBM 570
Error Messages:

Have IBM Think Pad with ultra base, running win98se.and have a resource
Problem with HD Controller.

In Device Manager
When I click on Hard Disk Controllers I get
(!) Intel 82371 AB/EB.PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
Std Bus Mastering IDE HD Controller
Std Bus Mastering IDE HD Controller
When I go to properties on the PCI Bus Master, am told
"This device is causing a resource conflict (code 15)"

When I click on the resources tab it opens with glaring red bars against
the various properties, and in the bottom panel get the following

Input/Output Range 01F0 - 01F7 used by:
Standard Bus Mastering IDE Hard Disk Controller
Input/Output Range 03F6 - 03F6 used by:
Interrupt Request 14 used by:
Input/Output Range 0170 - 0177 used by:
Input/Output Range 0376 - 0376 used by:
Interrupt Request 15 used by:
Input/Output Range 1800 - 180F used by:
Input/Output Range 1800 - 180F used by:

I have tried removing the Std Bus Mastering IDE controller which has the same resources, in the hope that upon restart, the Intel PCI controller would take precedence and , that the Std Bus Controller would re config with a different setup, but this doesn

xocal
Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 03:42:07 PM »

Use the latest Intel drivers from this site. You should get the INFINST.EXE file.

Jord.
xocal

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 05:23:13 PM »

Thanks for that!
Duly downloaded and started install which stopped with error message"Could not obtain data from source path HKLM\software\MS\wins\current version\setup" Registry is corrupt!! when I clicked OK, the load inicator on the blue screen showed that it had stopped at 50%!
I ran "Error Dr" and "Ashampoo Reg checker" but could find no problems! restarted and tried again but got same story!
Any ideas?

xocal
Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2004, 08:35:24 PM »

You could try the following:

1. Restart Windows 98. While the system is restarting, press and hold the left CTRL key until you see the Windows 98 Startup menu.
2. In the Windows 98 Startup menu, select Command Prompt Only.
3. From the MS-DOS command prompt, type ScanReg /Restore.

A screen appears listing the available backup sets. Select the appropriate backup and determine if the symptom is alleviated on the subsequent start.

Jord.
xocal

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 10:25:21 AM »

Thanks again, but list of scanreg backups limited to four which go back just a few days, so they don't work.
Can you advise where backups are usually automatically stored?

xocal
Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2004, 02:07:11 PM »

No, the list of registry backups you have there is all Windows has backed up. If you were asking for another backup, then please explain.

I'll take a further look around into this, but that can take a while. If someone else has a good idea, say it. Smiley

Jord.
KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2004, 03:18:52 PM »

I'm not sure if this will work without proper registry back-ups but it's worth a try:

While booting up press and hold the CRTL key and then select "Command prompt only" from the menu.

At the command prompt type: scanreg /fix

press enter. When this is finished press enter and then type: scanreg /opt

Like I said I'm not sure if it'll work but it's worth a go.

If you want to try to fix the resource conflict go into BIOS and change the devices to different IRQs manually. Hopefully you'll get somewhere with this but if not let us know and we'll try come up with something.

Ross

You can't hug people with nuclear arms
xocal

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2004, 05:40:16 PM »

Thank you both.
I ask about other back ups as there were only 4 listed going back a few days.
My understanding was that the registry is backed up every time one starts up, so I thought there might be  a store for more than the four that showed up.
Ross, am prepared to try anything at this stage as not having a cd or floppy drive means that I can't change anything in device manager without it looking for the win98se cd ! However am confused re making changes to resources in the Bios! as I only have one hdd, and shouldn't have two standard bus master controls.
Am still convinced that they only appeared after I installed a version of infinst_enu which was only correct for win95!

xocal
Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2004, 05:59:47 PM »

Oh, is that your problem. I thought you were having the wrong IDE drivers installed, them not going as fast as they should, which can be accomplished by installing the correct drivers.

Anyway, why wouldn't it be possible that you have a 2nd IDE controller in your Thinkpad?
IRQs 14 and 15 are reserved for IDE controller 1 and 2, in any system from an ATX upwards.

Jord.
xocal

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2004, 06:35:48 PM »

OK so let's start again!
I Have IBM Think Pad with ultra base, running win98se.and have a resource
Problem with HD Controller.

In Device Manager
When I click on Hard Disk Controllers I get
(!) Intel 82371 AB/EB.PCI Bus Master IDE Controller.  The(!)is bright yellow!

When I go to properties on the Intel 82371 AB/EB PCI Bus Master, am told
"This device is causing a resource conflict (code 15)"

And when I click on the resources tab it opens with glaring red bars against
the various properties,

I also have two(2)Std Bus Mastering IDE HD Controllers, one of which is using the same resource properties as the Intel 82371 AB/EB.PCI Bus Master IDE Controller, hence the conflict!
In trying to correct this, I was advised to download an updated "infinst_enu" driver and was given a link, which I duly clicked, and without checking, downloaded and installed the driver! which I was subsequently advised was not suitable for win98se! it being a win95 upgrade!
I then discovered that I had lost the connection between my laptop and the Ultrabase and was told this was caused by the incorrect driver!
Can anyone advise how to get rid of this win95 driver, as I have downloaded and saved the correct one, but can't instal it over the other!!!

I hope this makes it clearer what the problem is and hopefully suggest a solution.
Thanks again!

xocal
Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2004, 07:10:44 PM »

It would seem I wasn't reading it wrong the first time around then. Sorry for that.
The IDE controllers (the Intel ones), can use up to UDMA133, I would think?
At standard speed, they run at DMA33 only. They then also interfere with UDMA speeds (UDMA66,100 and 133). The only solution for this is to install the correct drivers, so Windows knows that both the Intel IDE controllers are exactly that.

Can you uninstall the wrong chipset software? No. Or at least, Intel no longer has the utility availbale with which you could. But with some looking around, I came upon NOIDE.INF. It appears to be a file on the Windows 98(SE) CD, in /tools/msutils. Might be something for you to look into.

All you should do is rightclick on this file, choose install and reboot. That deletes all IDE drivers out of Windows 98(SE), so you can install the correct drivers.

If you can't get to the Windows CD, let me know and I'll hunt for a place to download it from (or check my own old Win98 CDs and put it online).

Jord.
xocal

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2004, 05:56:05 PM »

Hi Jord,
After losing a further 4 hours going around in circles, am prepared to try anything before I dump it altogether!
I have managed to extract the noide.inf to a floppy, but can't get laptop to show the floppy drive which is an external unit connected by serial cable to the laptop itself and not to the ultrabase!!
The laptop knows it's there, as it lights up at start-up, and I can right click on a file and send it to the floppy drive!
Any thoughts on getting it recognised?
You suggest I use this to remove all ide drivers and reinstall the correct ones!
do you mean the infinst_enu.exe, or ones from a startup disk?

xocal
Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2004, 06:08:31 PM »

I meant the correct ones from the Intel site that I linked you to. Not the Windows 95 version again that you used earlier.

As for getting the Ultrabase to recognise a floppy drive, not a clue really. Does it have an option in its BIOS or setup?

Jord.
xocal

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2004, 05:59:18 PM »

quote:
Originally posted by KaTaLy5t

I'm not sure if this will work without proper registry back-ups but it's worth a try:

While booting up press and hold the CRTL key and then select "Command prompt only" from the menu.

At the command prompt type: scanreg /fix

press enter. When this is finished press enter and then type: scanreg /opt

Like I said I'm not sure if it'll work but it's worth a go.

If you want to try to fix the resource conflict go into BIOS and change the devices to different IRQs manually. Hopefully you'll get somewhere with this but if not let us know and we'll try come up with something.

Ross

Hi Ross, Am back again having tried your suggestions among others without success.
Have up graded the Bios with the latest update"Spedim65ww"
Have tried verything I know to try to change the IRQs manualy, but won't be allowed!
Have downloaded the Thinkpad Configuration Utilty, and am presently studying the Help section to try to find a solution.
Have scoured the net looking for solutions, with no luck.
Any further suggestions welcome.

xocal
Dave Johnson

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2005, 03:48:23 PM »

Hi xocal,

Did you ever get this problem resolved?  I am trying to solve the same problem...

I have an IBM Thinkpad 600x running Windows 98SE

In device manager there are 2 standard Bus Mastering IDE Hard Disk Controllers

There is also 1 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master Controller that has a device conflict  (yellow exclamation)

I cannot solve this!!  

Help!

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 

Jump to: