MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: CD Burner intermittent behaviour
November 20, 2019, 03:46:23 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2019, 03:46:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CD Burner intermittent behaviour  (Read 977 times)
Allen B

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2004, 07:36:51 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Win 98
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model: Via MB model unknown
Error Messages:none

My problem seems strange to say the least.   Sometimes my burner works normally.  Sometimes it does not work at all. Sometimes "My Computer" lists it, sometimes it does not.    Sometimes the Startup Boot Disk finds the drive and sometimes it does not.

This all started one day while in use.   The machine is used entirely for work - there are no games installed and I do not  DL anything from the net.   No programs had recently been installed at time of first failure.  Nothing else had been changed.
I use Zone Alarm while on the net ( dial up - infrequent use ) so there should be no virii.  I also never open attachments or open spam email even just to read.

In addition - I swapped the drive for another one - the problem persists with the machine not the drive......

When the CD is not working - some programs will access it if I go through "My Computer" but not if I click on the icon.   On these occasions some programs will recognize the drive and others will not.  

All of these things can change without a re-boot - though this is unusual.

I did also re-install windows ( no difference ) and re-installed the VIA IDE drivers.  That seems to have made the problem less frequent but it has not gone away.

I suspect that something is wrong with the MB or it's CPU    ( Via  and   Duron respectively ).

Is this a reasonable guess ?    If so, how do I find out which one ?     Also, is it likely a design flaw, something caused by overheating, or perhaps "just one of those flukey things" ?

Any and all reasoned comments welcome.

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2004, 02:10:39 PM »

Could be you need a BIOS update, but to be sure about that, we do need your motherboard version. You can most probably find that one out by using CPUZ.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2004, 02:26:47 PM by Ageless » Logged

Jord.
Allen B

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004, 03:42:15 AM »

Could be you need a BIOS update, but to be sure about that, we do need your motherboard version. You can most probably find that one out by using CPUZ.

A Bios update or merely a re-write of a corrupt Bios ?    The drive was working in this machine ( and Bios ) for two years prior to this problem .........

I still have the handbook that came with the MB as well as the installation disks.  Should be able to identify the model that way.   One problem that I have is that nearly all of my netting is from home ( the other computer ) so following your link would probably not help.    Would the MB's installation and driver disk likely have a copy of the BIOS on it ?

avia27c

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2004, 07:34:49 AM »

Well, first off people's BIOS is a big NO!, unless of course you just downloaded some O/S updates and then the problem started... and that would be an extreme measure in my opinion to do. If the Win98 update were to be the case. I would recommend uninstalling the update first before updating the BIOS!!!

This in my opinion sounds like it could be:

Motherboard Capacitors : smelly, bulging, leaking, curving, splitting caps. Check out http://www.badcaps.com/ident/

Power Supply : check in the BIOS to see what the power is fluctuating at, write down the V+ V- 's and compare to what the motherboard manufacturer's spec's are.

Bios - O/S confusion :

Go to BIOS and reset the configuration data - some BIOS's have this option... if not reset to defaults. After making changes in the BIOS don't forget to save and exit.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Could be :

bad drivers : uninstall the cdrom - restart and the O/S should reinstall them for you.

corrupt O/S : boot to DOS off floppy or cdrom and choose command prompt
- you should see A:\
- "type" cd c:\ "hit enter" to get C:\
- once at C:\ "type" scanreg /restore "hit enter"
- choose a date prior to the time this started
- then it should restore your registry to a date prior to these faults

spyware : check for spyware
Start - run - "type" msconfig "hit enter or click ok"
click on startup and copy the items to the post so we can look em up for you
or download and install - Adaware and Spybot S&D - run them and restart

gave you a bunch of ideas and fixes - Good Luck!!! - and let us know how you made out!!!

Allen B

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 06:59:31 AM »

One thing I forgot to mention - the Win 98 boot disk has not been recognizing the drive ( sometimes ).  Now it has gotten much worse.
All today, I have not been able to access the drive regardless of continual re-boots.     In addition, the Floppy is no longer recognized and all of the other disks fail to list in the "detecting IDE's " part of the boot sequence "no primary master / slave : no secondary master/slave".

As for the question that seems to always come up - no, I did not EVER Dwn Ld anything from MS corporation. No updates, No security patches. Nothing.   All software is run "as is" right out of the box.  I will NEVER let W. Gates' fiends into my computer.   The only reason I run windows at all is because no one writes programs I want for Linux............

I can read most of the drives manually but programs fail to run as If they were searching for stuff that is on the "wrong" drive ( due to the Dos drive-letter precedence - renaming drives to compensate for missing drives )

Without a CD or floppy, there is no hope of even re-newing the Bios, which alone is enough to strongly suggest ( to me ) that it has to be hardware - MB or Chip not bios or currupt OS

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: