MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Computer turns off, reboots randomly.. etc.
June 04, 2020, 06:09:26 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 04, 2020, 06:09:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  New Poll on our main page!
"My experience with Vista..."
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Computer turns off, reboots randomly.. etc.  (Read 1828 times)
Alia Vetinari

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2004, 12:34:41 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows 2000
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

Around three months ago, a friend (since I was unable to at that moment) bought some parts to build me a computer. It has an AMD Athlon XP 3200 processor, Asus A7N8X-e motherboard, 512 MB of RAM, 160 GB Seagate HD, an ATI Radeon 9200 256 MB graphics card, DVD burner, and then simply a 56 fax-modem, plus the ISDN modem I use to connect to the net.
At first it worked more or less fine, expect that I still had to use Windows 98 SE for a while and it didn't seem to like the HD or the RAM much ( too much RAM for Win98? ). Finally I manage to get a Win2K copy, and at first it worked fine.. then suddenly it started rebooting randomly, after several hours of use sometimes, other times just after around ten-fifteen minutes, and it also gave me random error messages (Win2k blue screens). I checked some of those error messages and they do in fact seem random. The reboots were more normal than the blue screens, actually.
I thought it might have been the RAM, so I opened the case and changed it to a different slot. For around one week, during which I played the World of Warcraft beta, it worked perfectly fine. Not reboots or anything, and I used it a lot. Then, a day after it ended, and I returned to using the computer in a normal way, it started turning off. The monitor would turn off, and so would the computer (the fans stop spinning, it doesn't read the HD, and it's completely silent, so I guess it does turn off), except that the 'Power' led stays on, and I have to press the button to turn off the computer for around 4 seconds so the led turns off as well, then press the button again to boot the PC.
I have no idea (neither does my friend) about what it could be. All the parts are still under guarantee so I could replace them. I already tried using a friend's RAM and graphic card, and it keeps doing the same.. so I'm guessing either the power supply is dying, or the motherboard is defective? I can't seem to find anyone with a similar problem Sad
Thanks.

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2004, 01:00:58 PM »

Are you sure the PC isn't hibernating? When you put your computer into hibernation, everything in computer memory is saved on your hard disk, and your computer is switched off. When you turn the computer back on, all programs and documents that were open when you turned the computer off are restored on the desktop.

Anything like that happening?

Jord.
Alia Vetinari

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2004, 02:16:30 PM »

quote:
Originally posted by Jee

Are you sure the PC isn't hibernating? When you put your computer into hibernation, everything in computer memory is saved on your hard disk, and your computer is switched off. When you turn the computer back on, all programs and documents that were open when you turned the computer off are restored on the desktop.

Anything like that happening?

Nope, it's not hibernating :/ Some people have already suggested this, but I already checked, and the hibernating feature is off. Thanks for trying, though Wink

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2004, 03:30:58 PM »

Hi Alia

Normally the problem is one of several things that causes crashes or random reboots:

1. Bad power suppy or power cable not plugged in all the way.

2. Bad Video card , corrupt or incorrect drivers loaded for it.

3. Corrupt files or a Compressed (Drivespace) Drive on the boot drive.

4. Cooling fan on Power Supply has stopped or fan on CPU has stopped.

5. Bad or too slow memory chips.

Other causes of random Reboots:

Adaptec Controller card (or some other card) trying to share an IRQ with Video card.

Boot sector Virus

Cyrix chips run very hot (use a larger heatsink and or fan)

Voodoo2 cards getting hot and causing random reboots in games (try an extra cooling fan)

Did you happen to write down any of those error messages for us to look at or could you?

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2004, 03:35:42 PM »

You can check the error messages again by looking in the Event Viewer (Start->Settings->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Event Viewer).

If not hibernating, your first thing to address is the PSU. I've had PCs (even the one I am typing on now) close down for no reason at all visible. Was my PSU that had a spike. Replacing the PSU fixed that. Replace it with a stronger one than you have now and of a good brand.

Jord.
Alia Vetinari

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2004, 05:45:49 PM »

I already checked that the power cable was plugged in just fine, even bought a new one since the one I had was around six years old, and unfortunately it didn't work.
Then I changed the memory stick I have with one a friend lent me, it didn't work.. the same with the videocard.

I tried looking at the Event log but it doesn't log blue screen errors, it seems Sad Next time I get one, I'll write it down..

I'm going to try and get the power supply changed (several people have suggested this, in different places) and even after that it keeps failing, I'll have to try with the motherboard.. as long as it's not the hard drive (it's not compressed, and it's rather new, just three months) I'm happy Huh?
Thanks everyone Smiley

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: