MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Mac OS arrow Topic: Win2K laptop on two different LANs
April 03, 2020, 07:22:52 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 03, 2020, 07:22:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Win2K laptop on two different LANs  (Read 3820 times)
Adrien

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2002, 08:34:26 PM »

I'm running Win2K on a laptop that I use at work and at home. The network at work runs as a domain with domain controllers. I just have a simple LAN at home with all the computers in a workgroup. Is there any way to reconfigure the laptop to work properly in both environments? Right now, if I set up Win2K to run on the home LAN, I lose access to the domain controller at work and must get IT to reset my userid on the DC, and rejoin the domain.

There's got to be a better way. Please help!

TIA

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2002, 01:53:33 PM »

Hi,

I suggest you look at a third party tool like Netswitcher
http://www.netswitcher.com/

P.S. Search the net, there are others!

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Adrien

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2002, 02:44:07 PM »

I've already tried Netswitcher but it does not handle this situation. When I go from domain/workgroup/domain, I get locked out of the domain controller. The IT weenies tell me this won't work, and that I can't do what I'm trying to do.

Thanks

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2002, 03:07:31 PM »

Hi,

Have you read this FAQ from Netswitcher?

----------------------------------------------------------
Can NetSwitcher make my NT4, Windows 2000 or Windows XP Pro be a part of more than one NT DOMAIN?

This is among the most common questions asked, especially from users previously running an insecure version of Windows like Win95, 98, or ME. Strictly speaking, the answer is NO, your Windows workstation can be a member of EXACTLY 0 or 1 NT DOMAIN at any time.  If you are a member of a domain and you reconfigure for a workgroup or another domain, your ability to logon the old domain is lost until the workstation is re-joined.

NetSwitcher supports the rejoining of your workstation to the domain BUT, under Windows NT, 2000, and XP Pro there is a SPECIFIC USER ACCOUNT PRIVILEGE (titled Add Workstation to Domain) that MUST be enabled on your DOMAIN USER ACCOUNT in order for you to re-join the domain.  If you have this right, you can do it.  If you don't have this right you CANNOT.  Windows security is specifically designed to PREVENT USERS FROM DOING THINGS THEY ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO DO.

So, many ask, "why can't NetSwitcher get around this?"  Well, even if it could (which it can't) that would only force Microsoft to fix whatever security hole I might have found and exploited to permit this.  Others ask, "why is Windows broken in this way?".  The answer is that neither Windows nor NetSwitcher is broken.  This is a CHOICE determined by YOUR DOMAIN ADMINS.  So in fact, it's not a technical issue at all, but rather a political or security decision made by your organization or administrators.

Some people MISTAKENLY believe that only DOMAIN ADMINS can join a workstation to the domain but that is not true.  The only thing needed is the specific user right which can be simply granted to any user by the administrator.

There is an extensive write-up of this situation in the NetSwitcher HELP file under the section titled "NT DOMAIN SERVERS".  If you have further questions, please refer there.  You will also find some information for your administrators that may help them configure this for you.

So the bottom line for this question is a "definite maybe".  If you have the rights on the domain, you CAN come and go from the domain as you please.  If, however, you don't have the rights, then you CAN go, but you cannot come back without help.

----------------------------------------------------------

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: