MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: install new hard drive
October 14, 2019, 06:50:06 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 14, 2019, 06:50:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Article Writers We are looking for quality, informational articles to add to our Computer Articles
Please contact us if you are interested in submitting some....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: install new hard drive  (Read 1311 times)
rodel

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 26, 2004, 11:20:01 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:windows professional xp
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

I bought a new hard drive to replace old. How to do it? How to back up old file,  my ms office, and my operating sytem? I need your help out there, please

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2004, 04:57:02 PM »

Is there something wrong with the old hard drive or do you just want more disk space? You don't need to get rid of your old hard drive if you just want more disk space you can have the two drives in the machine at the same time.

Ross

You can't hug people with nuclear arms
rodel

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004, 01:14:45 AM »

quote:
Originally posted by KaTaLy5t

Is there something wrong with the old hard drive or do you just want more disk space? You don't need to get rid of your old hard drive if you just want more disk space you can have the two drives in the machine at the same time.

Ross

rodel

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2004, 01:42:43 AM »

I think so, bec. everytime I am opening my computer, there is a message appearing and it say...... Smart failure predicted on primary master: maxtor 52049H4. warning: immediate back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive.  A failure may be imminent.
Can you tell me how to back up my data?  And my other problem is, if I am going to replace my old hard drive, how about my operating system? I don't have anymore copy for my operating system. Pls. help.

quote:

Ross

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2004, 01:50:51 AM »

You're gona need to get a copy of your OS if you wana replace the drive. To back-up something up you need a program that'll help you back-up and something to back-up onto eg. DVD, CD, Tape etc. If I was in your situation I would install the second hard drive as primary slave and then move as much of the contents of the other drive onto the new drive.

Ross

rodel

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2004, 01:58:11 AM »

If I am going to use my newly bought hard drive as my primary slave and move my important files from the old drive, how about my operating system?  Will it still stay on my old drive?  Can I not copy all the file including the operating system? And if I can, can you tell me how to move the files from old drive to new drive.  Do I still need to format my new driver before copying it?

quote:

You're gona need to get a copy of your OS if you wana replace the drive. To back-up something up you need a program that'll help you back-up and something to back-up onto eg. DVD, CD, Tape etc. If I was in your situation I would install the second hard drive as primary slave and then move as much of the contents of the other drive onto the new drive.

Ross

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2004, 02:19:38 AM »

Yeah you'll need to format the drive before you use it. I'm not sure if the OS will move but it's worth a try. I'm not really sure if my way is the best way to do but if anyone has other suggestions then post them here!

Ross

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2004, 03:05:13 PM »

You could try to use the free Maxtor's Maxblast 3 for Windows, then use the copy function within to make an exact duplicate of the existing harddrive. I never used it, always worked with Norton Ghost (not free). But it's worth a try.

Jord.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: