MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: add new hard drive, not showing in windows
October 19, 2019, 12:59:04 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 19, 2019, 12:59:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Article Writers We are looking for quality, informational articles to add to our Computer Articles
Please contact us if you are interested in submitting some....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: add new hard drive, not showing in windows  (Read 1995 times)
alexrix

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2004, 11:40:50 AM »

Hi,
I've had my windows xp pc die on me, and my old windows 98 pc is chugging along happily still.  I want to send my new pc off for repair, but have holiday photos on the hard drive.  I have tracked the error with the new pc to the motherboard and believe the hard drive to be fine.  I have taken the hard drive out of the new pc, and am trying to link to old pc to get my holiday pics off, as company cannot guarantee data integrity of HDD. I've connected to secondary on motherboard, and changed bios settings.  the current HDD for windows is on primary and when windows starts up it shows as disk c:\ however the post/ startup identifies the new hard disk (auto detect in bios) but when windows starts i can't see the drive in explorer.  when i look at the hardware settings through the control panel i can see the drive, but it has no disk letter mapped to it.  and is disabled, so i can't enter one.  I have tried doing an add new hardware search, but it doesn't find it. ANy help appreciated, i desperately want to get my data off this hard drive.  Only issue i can think is the HDD in question came out of a windows xp pc and pc i'm trying to attach it to is windows 98.  but i thought if seperate hard drives this shouldn't be an issue?

Operating System Version: windows 98 & windows xp pro service pack 2
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2004, 02:57:38 PM »

Hi alexrix

This is the best way I feel to get information off a hard drive

Have you made sure the jumper on the drive is set correctly? Did you try to set it as slave on the primary controller?

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2004, 05:10:59 PM »

If the XP hard drive is formatted with NTFS I'm not sure if Win98 can read the files off it because Win98 uses FAT32 and not NTFS. I'm not sure about that but if anyone else knows for sure then let us know.

Ross

You can't hug people with nuclear arms
Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2004, 05:58:53 PM »

That's correct Ross. Windows 98 will not be able to read files on an NTFS harddrive, unless it's on another machine through a network.

Jord.
KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2004, 01:21:53 AM »

That leaves a fairly big problem for alexrix if his hard drive is formatted with NTFS. The only other way to get the info off the hard drive would be to try and put it in a different computer as a slave drive and then try to access it through a network.

Ross

alexrix

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2004, 11:14:34 AM »

Hi,
I've set it as the master on the secondary.  I've checked the jumpers, and i did try it as slave ont he primary, all to no avail.  I tries removing the primary master and using the hard drive as the only one on the windows 98 system, but it got as far as boot/post then the screen went blank / windows didn't load.  I guess because the system didn't recognise the drive? i had heard that if i had two drives, it didn't matter if one was fat and one was NTFS, as you can have two operating systems in one machine? the problem is getting the hard drive recognised by the new/old windows 98 system? I don't have another machine, but may be able to scrounge one off a friend, which is windows XP, but will i not have the same problem again, in that that new system will not recognise the drive? or in theory, should i be able to add that hard drive to a windows xp machine and be able to read the data? all i want to do is get ANY machine able to read this hard drive and i can burn the data onto cd. I could kill my old windows 98 machine and load windows XP pro on it, as i have the windows disks, if this is sure to help?  I'm using the windows 98 machine to access the internet, as have no other way at the mo, so don't want to 'cut my lifeline' to you gurus without a plan! Many thanks for all your help so far, any theories on what i've posted here?

alexrix

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2004, 11:27:13 AM »

That was a  bit of a brain dump!
to summarise in hopefully better english!
I set the jumpers to slave and tried as slave on primary - no joy, but probably had Bios wrong at this point.
I set jumpers to master and tried as master on secondary - can see but can't access.
I set jumpers to master and tried as master on primary - nothing post boot.

next step:
I can install windows XP pro on my windows 98 machine - but am concenrned it still will not recognise the drive without me partitioning and formatting it. (by recognise i mean allow me to access the data)
I could find another windows xp machine, but likewise, if i plug this hard drive in, will the new xp machine recognise the drive without me formatting it?
I think the motherboard is what died on my original XP machine, and fear that if i get it fixed/ replaced, XP will see itself as a new system, and not allow me to access the data on the hard drive still?

I could be way off track with this paranoia about systems not recognising hard drives unless they've been formatted whilst connected to the current pc? If this can be answered for sure, this would give me a strong starting point!

The other thing to consider, is that a machine can run with two operating systems, so one machine in theory should be able to support one NTFS drive and one FAT 32 (or FAT16 for that matter) drive?

Someone mentioned XXcopy to me which apparently doesn't care about formats, but again, it needs to see a drive letter associated with the hard drive (i think) so i can't use it until i can get this xp hard drive associated with a drive letter/recognised by the system?

Hopefully that's a more structured post!?
Many thanks again for your help.
alexrix

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2004, 12:04:53 PM »

Ok well firstly, if you put the XP hard drive into another XP machine it should be able to read the it, unless the hard drive is damaged. As long as the hard drive is already formatted and partitioned the other system shouldn't have a problem reading it.

As for multibooting or dual booting check out some of the info on this site and see what you think.

I wouldn't chance installing XP on your current system because if you install XP and you don't have all the device drivers for your computer that are compatible you'll have to spend a lot of time searching for drivers so I would use this only a last resort.

I don't know about XXcopy, I've never dealt with it.

Ross

alexrix

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2004, 03:38:06 PM »

Thanks,
I'm going to risk forking out 19.99 for a data transfer from my local pc store.  Having explained to them the issue, they seem convinced that if i take them the hard drive and give them the directories i need, they should be able to burn them on to cd/dvd for me.  If that's true they're life savers.  But based on what you've said, in theory all they need to do is hook it up to an XP machine?! Simple enough. I partitioned the drive when i installed windows XP on it, and it was recognised by my old XP pc before it dies so i'm guessing it has all the specs for plug and play into any old XP machine!? I'll let you know. Ta for advice about the drivers, i'd hate to have ended up with no useable pc!
alexrix

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2004, 03:43:58 PM »

Although XP may have a lot of drivers for Plug&Play for older hardware, you cannot just move a harddrive with XP on it from one PC to the other and expect it to boot up like Windows 98 would do.
XP is picky about that, especially if the motherboard chipset changed. It'll more likely give you a STOP error, before you get to a login page.

Jord.
KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2004, 05:45:04 PM »

No problem. Let us know what happens. If the PC store sorts it out then you'll be ok.

Ross

alexrix

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2004, 09:33:43 AM »

Ta, fingers crossed, they will be able to help.  however from what Jee says they might not be able to get the data off it either? Even with another XP machine? I'll let you know what they come back with.  if they say 'no go' though, am i right in thinking if i get a replacement motherboard for my XP machine (same as current) and use same CPU etc, that i should be able to use my hard drive and boot up happily and access my data? (only motherboard changed, but same spec etc as previously)? or will xp still see this as too much of a change and give me a STOP error? There's surely got to be a way round this?! (OK i know.... back-up my data more often!).
thanks again folks
alexrix

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2004, 12:47:46 PM »

Yeah, XP should boot up with the new mobo if it's the same as the last one. I don't see why it shouldn't. Maybe I'm wrong though? Is the mobo under warranty or do you have to pay for it?

Ross

alexrix

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2004, 03:08:02 PM »

Hi all,
They did it! the local pc company saved my data! yey! Pc is under warranty so should only have to pay shipping to get the box back to them and they should fix all else, i just wanted to rescue my data before sending it on it's merry way.  Many thanks everyone.

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2004, 03:36:06 PM »

Your very welcome alexrix. It's good to hear that your data was saved.

Ross

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: