MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: uninstall windows nt 4.0 work station
August 23, 2019, 02:39:44 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 23, 2019, 02:39:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Help us help you! Help us help you by helping out! The more people know about us, the more help will be available. Click here to find out how...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: uninstall windows nt 4.0 work station  (Read 1047 times)
snickers904

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2004, 05:35:33 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:NT 4.0 NOT A SERVER
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

I need step by step detailed instructions to remove win nt 4.0 from my computer. I have located it in partition1 on my computer. I want to install a different operating system. This computer was given to me.

Snickers
Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 03:39:08 PM »

Which Operating System do you want to install instead of NT4?

Jord.
snickers904

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004, 04:06:54 PM »

quote:
Originally posted by Jee

Which Operating System do you want to install instead of NT4?

I have either win 98 or win 2000. Either one would be better than what i have now.  our dsl won't work with win nt 4.0. Which ever one would be the easiest would be fine with me.

Snickers
Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2004, 04:16:45 PM »

If you want to use Windows 2000, just boot up with the Windows 2000 CD and let it install over NT4. You can even choose to remove the NT4 partition prior to making a new one and installing Win2k on it.

If you want to use Win98, you need to use fdisk to remove the NT4 partition from the harddrive, then make a new primary partition, reboot, format it and only then can you install Win98.

In a nutshell. Wink

Jord.
snickers904

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2004, 04:25:40 PM »

quote:
Originally posted by Jee

If you want to use Windows 2000, just boot up with the Windows 2000 CD and let it install over NT4. You can even choose to remove the NT4 partition prior to making a new one and installing Win2k on it.

If you want to use Win98, you need to use fdisk to remove the NT4 partition from the harddrive, then make a new primary partition, reboot, format it and only then can you install Win98.

In a nutshell. Wink

Snickers
Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2004, 04:29:24 PM »

No need to quote me everytime around, I know what I wrote before this. Wink

Ahem, fdisk comes with Windows, it only works in an MS DOS environment, so do boot up with a Windows 98 bootfloppy and just use fdisk from the command prompt.

Jord.
snickers904

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2004, 04:32:12 PM »

quote:
Originally posted by Jee

In a nutshell. Wink
:)Thank you so much everthing I had found searching the web sounded really complicated:)

Snickers
Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2004, 04:46:33 PM »

Check a post I did way earlier like http://mytechsupport.ca/support/single_post.asp?method=reply&REPLY_ID=15846 for an example on how to do this.

Jord.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: