MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Game Problems arrow Topic: Game freezes.
August 19, 2019, 02:30:45 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 19, 2019, 02:30:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Article Writers We are looking for quality, informational articles to add to our Computer Articles
Please contact us if you are interested in submitting some....
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game freezes.  (Read 4059 times)
daag

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2004, 01:53:36 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:XP
Hi. Hope you can help.I`m running a Athlon xp3000 with 512 md ddr ram and a Mentor 256 mb nvidia fx5600 graphics card with 120 gb Maxtor HD.
The trouble is when I try to play newer games they slow down or freeze which as you can imagine is a pain in the rear.(such as Dawn of War,Gunmetal and Prince or Persia which stutters its way so slowly through the opening squences as to be unwatchable!).I`ve installed all the latest drivers and even purchased a copy of `speed up my pc` which shows my ram to be running at a constant 40% even though no applications are open which i`ve double checked using task manager.To say I`m not a happy bunny is an understatement.Please help
Daag

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 03:20:38 PM »

Hi daag

Are you sure your computer is freezing and just not lagging frame to frame? You could check to make sure the inside of the computer is free of dust escpecially around the video card and fans. Checking for updates and patches for the games is also good idea. Good idea checking to see what was running through ctl+alt+del. Although you have a pretty beafy machine alittle more memory would help you out a lot. Windows XP is memory hog. Dont get me wrong 512 is good but more is better Cool
Most of the time when a user complains about there games not playing correctly it's normally the video card, the drivers, incompatabiltiy, or heat related.

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004, 03:24:17 PM »

Adding to GG: Or anything running in the background. Remember that not all services are shown in the Taskmanager, so check for any services that are running that you can do without. Especially Antivirus programs, or that "speed up my PC" program...

Jord.
Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2004, 03:38:44 PM »

Shucky darn, forgot to mention that.....thanks Jee Grin

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2004, 04:56:32 PM »

thanks for the replys.when checking system specs I noticed that my cpu is running at 500 Mhz.can this be increased?I`ve binned the speed up my pc prog and still seem to be rumming a lot of ram but as you say xp with sp2 updates is a hog.a friend reckoned it come be a buffering prob which I must admit I wouldn`t know where to start and yes games seem to be struggling frame to frame.Any other ideas?
Daag

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2004, 05:33:03 PM »

Please check your CPU speed again. 500 MHz? Not anything higher? What did you check it with?
Can you else run CPUZ for me and tell me what that says?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2004, 05:33:46 PM by Ageless » Logged

Jord.
daag

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2004, 05:50:12 PM »

sure.amd athlon xp 3000+,core speed 500.0 mhz,multiplier x5.0,fsb 100.0 mhz,bus speed 200.00mhz...anything else?
Daag

daag

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2004, 05:51:58 PM »

I gather this is not good
Daag

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2004, 06:57:45 PM »

No that's not good. The XP 3000+ should be operating at 2160Mhz. The multiplier and FSB on your CPU are wrong. The default FSB is 333MHz, this is double data rate(DDR) so in BIOS the FSB should be at 166.5Mhz and the multiplier should be 13x.

Multiplier X FSB = Clock Speed

13    X 166.5 = 2160 {roughly}

Go into BIOS and see if you can change these to the proper settings.

Ross

You can't hug people with nuclear arms
Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2004, 07:12:42 PM »

The FSB in the BIOS will only show 166 for that option. so 13 x 166 will get you your correct CPU speed.

Jord.
daag

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2004, 07:30:19 PM »

I`ll try that now.thanks people.It realy puts my trustback in people again knowing everyone isn`t a %#&*%$* and there are people willing to help others(wipes tear from eye)*sniff*...must be a bambi moment.will let you know if that improves things
Daag

daag

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2004, 11:08:29 AM »

tried to ammend settings in bios but all that would happen is that the pc would turn itself off.!!!how scary?really not sure what to do know
Daag

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2004, 12:34:53 PM »

Is this a new PC or an old one? If it's new and under warranty you could get it fixed, otherwise I would try a BIOS update.

Ross

daag

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2004, 01:22:29 PM »

its only a year old..it will let me back into the bios setttings when its been turned off for a while but i don`t understand why it won`t let me put in the new setting.Am i missing something?
Daag

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2004, 03:45:42 PM »

Did the PC always run at 500Mhz or did something happen that caused the problem eg. a BIOS flash? The CMOS battery could be dodgy, does BIOS store other settings that aren't related to the CPU?

If the battery is loose or dead then BIOS can't store any settings. If you want you can try opening up the case and removing the CMOS battery, it's a silver battery like a large watch battery. Take it out and leave it out for a few minutes then put it back in and make sure that it's pushed in properly.

It doesn't sound to me like the battery is dodgy but it's worth a try to elimate that as a possibility.

Ross

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 

Jump to: