MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Security & Viruses arrow Topic: how exactly does spyware get into a computer
November 18, 2019, 06:07:09 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2019, 06:07:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Looking for cheap hardware and/or software?
Visit our new Online Store where you will be able to purchase from a reputable vendor by country.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: how exactly does spyware get into a computer  (Read 855 times)
vstarr

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2004, 05:32:57 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Win XP
Problem Application Name & Version: AdmilliServ
Problem Hardware Make & Model: Dell
Error Messages:

I am new to this forum.  I own an internet radio station, Gotradio.com, which requires our listeners to download a plug in to stream. This plug in is not bundled with any spyware or adware. We also have available to our listeners a desktop version of our players, which they can download.  This download does not contain any bundled ad serving software as well and is an HTA application that includes the gotradio player html via an IFRAME., yet occassionally we get an email from a listener who is adament that we are the cause of malicious ad serving software.  The latest one we received was a gentleman claiming that we infected his machine with AdmilliServ.

My question to you is, how exactly do people get infected with the spyware and adware.  Is the admilliServ a virus?  I thought that people could only get the adware and spyware if they actually downloaded something that came bundled with the ad serving software.  Can people get infected by simply downloading a clean download and if they don't have a firewall or protection, can the ad serving software or virus infect their machine?

We have no popup code on our site whatsoever but our player does contain banners.  Is it possible for people to receive the virus through one of the banners unbeknown to us?

I feel for these people and am very concerned obviously for my company's sake that we are not accussed of spreading this malicious spyware and adware.  I want to be able to intelligently explain to our listeners, why and how we are not the perpetrators of this, and if there is someway that we are indeed an unwilling avenue to unwanted downloads through unprotected machines, i'd sure like to know and understand how we can better protect our listeners.

I'd appreciate any insight or advise you have to offer.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2004, 05:39:25 PM by jvic » Logged

v. starr
jvic
Visiting Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 05:37:55 PM »

See If This Helps

John Vickers
vstarr

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004, 05:45:42 PM »

thanks John.  this is great to help those that are infected, but it also states that the adserving software usually comes bundled with downloads, which is what i believed to be true.  If a person downloads our player (which has no bundled software) and all of a sudden he/she gets infected, it is only right that they assume that it is coming from us.  How do I convince them that it is not us?  Is there any way that they can analyse our download to show them that there is nothing bunlded with it?

Thanks

v. starr
jvic
Visiting Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2004, 05:56:04 PM »

This is the only way I know of:

The easiest way to tell if a program on the Internet contains Spyware (or is Malware, which is another way to say "bad software"), simply visit Google and type in the program name, followed by the word 'spyware'.

For example, if you were concerned that VisualZone has Spyware, you could type in "visualzone spyware" in Google. If Google presents a lot of postings where a lot of users are complaining about the software, then it's a safe bet that you should steer clear of the software.

John Vickers
vstarr

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2004, 06:11:01 PM »

thanks John, well then I hope this conversation does not show up on google then Smiley

I have one more question.  On our webserver, if our webserver is not protected properly - can viruses come through our webserver down through our website? Is this possible?

v. starr
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: