MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Game Problems arrow Topic: Slow Comp.
October 22, 2019, 06:58:31 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2019, 06:58:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  New Poll on our main page!
"My experience with Vista..."
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slow Comp.  (Read 1555 times)
rmgh

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2004, 10:21:07 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:Win 98 SE

When I finnish playing SimCity 4, the computer runs very slowly.  I can't open any programmes and the Start banner doesn't load properly.  I know I have a lot of programmes running in the background that are probably unnecessary but closing them doesn't do much good.

Do I have too many programmes running or is it just that the game is pretty big?

Thanks
rmgh

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 10:37:12 PM »

Hi rmgh
Windows 98 is known for not releasing its memory. A simple reboot will help th problem.

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004, 10:56:33 PM »

Not always, GG. It can depend on the hardware used. Amount of memory (under 512MB), amount of other programs opened up. I will go with you to reboot, as it will clear all memory, but waiting up to 15 minutes hould also clear much of the memory.

Depends of course on what kind of PC it's ran and how much memory the thing has.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2004, 11:07:59 PM by Ageless » Logged

Jord.
Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2004, 11:04:00 PM »

Well he did state  
quote:
I know I have a lot of programmes running in the background that are probably unnecessary but closing them doesn't do much good.
..and without releasing its resources it slows down the computer because all the memory is used and there for is using the hard drive to store what is needed. Am I right on that in some sense Jee?
If you have used all the memory and you are needing to use more where does it go and where does it come from to use?
That is why I suggested a reboot then it will release all resources.
I agree with you, the more memory you have the better and it does depend on what the specs are.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2004, 11:09:08 PM by Geekgirl » Logged

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2004, 11:14:08 PM »

No, you are correct most of the times. I just mentioned it when you have more than 256MB-512MB of memory, or even more than 512MB of memory with the registry patch running, that the memory should bleed out. 98SE runs about the same way as ME does. Although ME had a worse memory hog than SE did.

If you need more memory than there is physically available in the machine, you use the page file, or in 98's case, the virtual memory. Both are on the harddrive as a file, both take a reboot to purge.

Jord.
rmgh

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2004, 12:46:47 PM »

Ok. Thanks.

rmgh

rmgh

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2005, 04:45:28 PM »

Hi again,

This now also happens when Outlook Express has been running for a while.  Do you know why that is?  It is not a problem if the programme hasn't been running for a long time.

I still don't understand why I have to re-boot every time I run a programme whick uses more that a certain amount of memory.  Is there no way of preventing this happening?

Thanks

rmgh

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2005, 05:28:15 PM »

How much memory do you have in your computer? If your board can handle the upgrade I would consider adding more memory.

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Jump to: