MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Problem with ME setup to formatted drive
June 27, 2019, 10:44:28 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2019, 10:44:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Problem with ME setup to formatted drive  (Read 1585 times)
w00dy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2004, 11:32:20 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:Windows ME
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:Not enough free extended/XMS memory to run setup.
(Also) KERNEL:unable to initialise heap

My daughter was running XP but was having problems and wanted Win98 or ME instead, so I FDISKed & Formatted, using ME startup disk, then tried installing from ME cd. It tells me (1)'KERNEL:unable to initialise heap (2) Not enough free extended/XMS memory to run setup.
Can anyone tell me what's wrong?

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 11:57:26 PM »

(1) depends on where you started the WinME installation from. Must've been an OS that was already on the harddrive, for MSDOS didn't use a Kernel to start up with. The Windows ME format doesn't leave anything like that behind, unless you formatted with a WinME bootup disk older than the orignal WinME from the CD.

(2) That's a problem with the config.sys and autoexec.bat files being loaded. Presumably they loaded in real time memory, not in the upper memory as they should. So you you have not enough memory to start installing WinME with.

Ok, two things you can try:
1. Try to boot up with the WinME CD. Make sure the primary boot device is the DVD or CDROM in your daughter's amchine, then try to boot with the WinME CD in the optical drive.

2. Since you have another computer to get onto the internet with, download a Windows98SE bootdisk image and put that on annew floppy. Use that new floppy on your daughter's harddrive to delete the old partition, make a new primary partition, reboot, then format the new partition. Then install WinME on it. Either through DOS (Use the 98SE bootfloppy) or by going option 1.

Jord.
w00dy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 12:11:36 AM »

Hi Jee
Thanks for your quick reply. I followed your suggestions to the letter, but it made no difference. The setup.txt file on the ME Cd said copy *.* in win98x folder(on Cd) to C:[temp folder] and setup from there, did this and it worked(oh joy!), it went right thru setup to the point where 100% of files copied and it wanted to restart.

Instead of restarting back into the setup prog as expected, the boot menu appeared(normal,safe mode etc), but whichever option was chosen it restarted again and came back to the same menu, unless 'step-by-step confirmation' was chosen, in which case it plodded on a bit longer before it aborted.
One problem I have is I haven't managed to find the key(s) to bring up the Bios menu, the only way I could get it was by pulling the battery first, any ideas?

I noticed that setup did not create an autoexec.bat or a config.sys, can't find 'em anywhere, except one in the EBD folder which only has one line: ifshlp.sys. Is this any help?
Going round in circles again. Hope to hear from you soon
w00dy

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2004, 12:00:56 PM »

Weird that. You did delete the Windows partition, then make it anew as a new primary partition?

Jord.
w00dy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2004, 10:23:46 PM »

Hello again Jee,
Yes I did. To make sure, I went all thru it all again(wouldn't work), then tried installing from a temp folder on C: again. This time setup would not run until I copied config.sys & command.com to C: and edited config.sys.  This was a faint hope, but surprise, it worked! then setup crashed again with msg 'Standard Mode:Fault outside of MS-Dos Extender', followed by the contents of the registers.
appreciate it if you have any more thoughts on the matter
w00dy

NoelMVP

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2004, 11:36:32 PM »

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=87239
may give us a little more information to work on - but it would seem likely that this is the result of a hardware problem of some kind - when installing the OS, make sure that you have switched off teh BIOS Anti-Virus protection, and removed all non-essential peripherals (printers/cameras/card-readers, etc)

HTH

Noel Paton
(MS - MVP, Windows, 2002-2006)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
www.crashfixpc.com
w00dy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2005, 09:03:06 PM »

hi to both Jee & NoelMVP
after the suggestion that it might be a hardware problem, I pulled out all cards and cleaned the edge connectors. Booted with win98se floppy, reset setup to default values, and reset primary boot device to cd.
Then formatted c: using the /U switch (unconditional format). This apparently scans for bad clusters, whereas formatting without this switch doesn't.
Then fdisked and formatted again with the /S switch, and command.com appeared on c:.  Win98 setup then ran from the cd with no problems.
My daughter now loves me again.
So which was it, dirty edge connectors, correct use of format switches, or both?
Happy New Year to All
w00dy

NoelMVP

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2005, 09:20:20 PM »

Your guess is as good as ours (and probably better!)

Well Done - and Good Luck

Noel Paton
(MS - MVP, Windows, 2002-2006)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
www.crashfixpc.com
w00dy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2005, 11:48:42 PM »

thanks for the compliment, guys
all the best,
w00dy