MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Networking Problems arrow Topic: Nearly there!
April 19, 2019, 12:42:04 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2019, 12:42:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Article Writers We are looking for quality, informational articles to add to our Computer Articles
Please contact us if you are interested in submitting some....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nearly there!  (Read 1471 times)
Stoker

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2005, 09:37:15 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:win XP sp2
Problem Application Name & Version:ICS
Problem Hardware Make & Model:Railtek pci card, NWay switch
Error Messages: none

First thanks, reading these posts has helped me get up and running (ish)
I have connected 2 computers both on xp with realtek pci cards and NWay switch, 2 cables are 5M UTP cables ( not crossover), the ip address are 192.xxxxx1 and 2 and sub net 255.xxx, file and printer set up and running, pings ok, speed 100mbps, the only thing i cant do is share internet.
internet connected via basic Alcatel usb (frog) on main computer No 1.
I have run wizard (so many times it makes harry potter sick) deleted all connections and started again

is it possible to share internet?
I did have to change Mcafee firewall settings for file sharing, do i need to do more?
would i be better off getting crossover cable instead and not using nway switch?

Thanks in advance

Stoker
Code:
www.safetyphoto.co.uk
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 11:44:47 PM »

Did you enable ICS for the modem yet?

Stoker

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 04:20:43 PM »

yes, went through wizard on both computers, should i try direct connection with x over cable?

Stoker
Code:
www.safetyphoto.co.uk
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 12:36:39 AM »

Not really.

What I suggest is skip the wizard completely and do things manually.
Go to your Network and Dial Up Connections and right click the modem icon. Select Properties and then select Advanced, if memory serves me right. Could also be ICS or something like that.

Set it to Share This Connection (or it's equivalent) and reject all suggestions by Windows to do this via the Wizard.

Make sure that both machines are set to obtain IP Adresses automatically though.
After all this is gone by, you need to reboot both machines, the one on the modem first and then the other one.
Make sure that both machines are on the same Workgroup (of course of your choice)and same subnet mask.

Then report back and tell us if it's worked.

Stoker

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 09:56:11 PM »

sorry to say no did not work, although it might be the source of problem
"right click the modem icon. Select Properties and then select Advanced,"
no there on  my modem? - ihave updated moden driver and low and behold i now have the advanced option, and the option to share - great, rebooted etc, still have file share but no internet from comp2, although it seems to look for a conection - sounds a strange statement but before it was instant " page cannot be displayed" ?
I also notice i have 2 connections under the internet options tag, 1 for alcatel modem and 1 for btopenworld, could this be confusing the networked pc?

Stoker
Code:
www.safetyphoto.co.uk
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 10:58:29 PM »

That's very possible.
Check another thing for me though.

The NIC in your main PC should have defaulted to the IP 192.168.0.1 (due to ICS)
Make sure that both machines are members of the same Workgroup and Subnet mask (by default that should be 255.255.255.0).

Now go to the other machine and open up the properties of your NIC. In there go to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties.
The NIC should be set to Obtain IP Address Automatically and Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically.

Reboot after it's been verified as such and open up the command prompt (Start/Run/cmd.exe)
At the prompt type ipconfig -all.
See if it shares the previously mentioned attributes with your main machine.
If it won't do that, you may need to disable your Firewalls temporarily and reboot the guest machine again.

If that fails as well, try to set the IP manually via the Properties box of your Guest PC NIC. It should get an IP of the type 192.168.0.*** and have Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0 and Default Gateway should be 192.168.0.1

Try those and see if it works. Then report back.

Stoker

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 11:21:43 PM »

thanks for you time red axe, will try tomorrow.

Stoker
Code:
www.safetyphoto.co.uk
Stoker

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 09:12:46 PM »

still no ICS, I am convinced its modem causing conflict, so i will put on hold until i get another modem, it will most probavly make sense to get wireless modem/router set up, any to steer clear of?

Stoker
Code:
www.safetyphoto.co.uk
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 10:15:54 PM »

Can you possibly connect to the modem via Ethernet?
If you can, uninstall the drivers that came with the modem and just plug an Ethernet cable between your machine and the modem. It's entirely possible that you may need a crossover cable, but not necessarily.

If you can get that working instead, then all you need is a second NIC in your main machine and you'll get ICS up and running in no time.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: