MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: HD Halts
September 21, 2019, 04:28:17 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2019, 04:28:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  New Poll on our main page!
"My experience with Vista..."
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: HD Halts  (Read 1645 times)
Marco Vitaly

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2005, 03:01:52 PM »

I have a very annoying problem with my computer. Everytime I touch it, and even the slightest touch, cause it to stuck and make "start-up" noises, like when your HD spins. I open and disconnect and reconnect the SATA cable but it doesn't work, when I touch it again (e.g. to take a CD out of it) it will halt.

I really don't know what to do.

I have a Pentium IV 2.6 and ASUS motherboard of some kind.. my HD serial is WDC WD1200JD-00GBB0, and I don't know it's brand either.

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 03:59:16 PM »

WDC = Western Digital Company.
WD1200JD = Western Digital Caviar SE 120GB SATA 7200rpm drive.

Now, as for your problem, I wouldn't say don't touch your computer, as that would make things difficult to operate. So a couple of questions:
- Are you sure that you don't have a shortcircuit somewhere in the PC? Are all insulation rings between the mobo and the screwholes and the screws, no loose screws underneath the mobo making contact with the case, no loose cables making contact with the case?
- Is the harddrive screwed in with enough screws, did you use the screws supplied with the harddrive or others? Have you tried loosening or tightening the screws a bit?
- Which powercable do you use? The normal 4 pin molex with convertor, or do you have a PSU with special SATA power cables?

Jord.
Marco Vitaly

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 07:51:34 AM »

I'll check on most of the things you said, and in the meanwhile, if you'd like to tell me what would mobo represent, I'll be delighted Smiley

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 12:43:08 PM »

mobo= Motherboard , mainboard

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 07:04:59 PM »

...Few correction:

WIN XP PRO SP2
=================================================

Motherboard Name   Intel Rock Lake D865PERL
Motherboard Chipset   Intel Springdale i865PE
CPU Type   Intel Pentium 4HT, 2600 MHz (13 x 200)
Video Adapter   RADEON 9600 SERIES  (256 MB)
System Memory   1024 MB  (DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type   AMI (10/23/03)
---------------------------------------------------------

Now I checked for short-circuits and I found none - at least for my opinion: there are no exposed cables and of course, none of them touches the mobo (...) or the comp body.
One obvious problem that I have managed to point out is that the power supply fan isn't working. Can that be connected somehow to my problem?

I hope that you'll answer me soon becouse it's driving me nuts...

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 06:09:02 PM »

quote:
Originally posted by Marco Vitaly

One obvious problem that I have managed to point out is that the power supply fan isn't working. Can that be connected somehow to my problem?

If one of the fans in the Power Supply Unit isn't working, then you may have found your culprit already. There could be a short-circuit in your PSU and since it is connected to your case, every touch could spark it to go off. The same applies to trying to open your CDROM, the moment you touch the open/close button, the drive will ask for power. If the PSU is not working correctly, it will go off again.

Jord.
Marco Vitaly

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 06:55:01 AM »

Hmm... well, I'll buy a new PSU if that's necessary, but then again: My comp doesn't go off, it halts for ten to twenty seconds, making start-up noises (and I don't mean the PC speaker). Everything on screen halts, and there's no audio also, but then it goes back to normal... until the next time.

More info:

I use regular SATA cables (red) and there are two connections in the mobo, 0 and 1. well I was used to open up my computer, disconnecting - reconnecting - reassuring. Once, when it was halting every minute, I opened up the case and pulled the SATA cable wrong, so there is no 0 now. There is only 1, and now it doesn't only halts, it's slower either.

Marco Vitaly

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2005, 09:05:39 PM »

Well I've changed the power supply unit with my old computer's one and now each and every fan is working (all the 7 of them - two front, two rear, CPU, PSU and the Radeon.
But still... once it showed this blue screen with bunch of stuff written which I didn't know what to do with. But the technical information sais so:

***STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x96DC9668, 0x80606586) Beginning dump of physical memory

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: