MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Newly built PC wont boot up
March 31, 2020, 05:40:10 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 31, 2020, 05:40:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Looking for cheap hardware and/or software?
Visit our new Online Store where you will be able to purchase from a reputable vendor by country.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Newly built PC wont boot up  (Read 1675 times)
djchubs3

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2005, 08:39:00 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:xp
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

just built a new pc with new and old parts.

new gigabyte 7VM400M-RZ motherboards with 516 DDR ram and new case (unbranded) used existing Athlon XP2100 and cooler and existing (unbranded) modem card. Also used existing 40Gbyte samsung HDD. FDD DVD reader and liteone CDRW. Existing hard drive still has old software installed. I cannot get the unit to work. Upon switching on the cooling fan runs HDD runs (i think) then the unit just makes a sound throught the system speaker like a two tone alarm.

I am a novice.

Can any body help.

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 08:45:09 PM »

Can you describe the sound that comes out of the system speaker? This is called a POST error code, when BIOS finds a problem on performing the POST(Power On Self-Test), it'll make a sounds from the speaker, this sound can tell you what the problem is. For example, if it was a wideocard problem then the alarm would be 1 long beep followed by 2 short beeps. Post back and describe the beeps and we should be able to help you out.

Ross

You can't hug people with nuclear arms
djchubs3

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 08:53:19 PM »

the sound the post is making is like an old fashioned english police siren i.e two tone. It happens three or four times and then switches off the pc. I cannot get into the bios.

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 09:05:03 PM »

Sounds to me like an overheating alarm. I'd check if the fan is seated properly and spinning. Did you apply thermal compound??

Ross

You can't hug people with nuclear arms
djchubs3

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 10:24:15 PM »

Thanks

took cooling fan off and put it back on alarm gone.

Now I have no vision?

Any ideas.

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005, 11:00:47 PM »

If the "siren" sounded High, low, high, low, high, low, then it wasn't an overheating alarm, but more that of a bad CPU. It's now complete failed, most probably. That's why everything else starts up, but you don't see anything on screen.

Jord.
Boba

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2005, 04:49:27 PM »

Ok hi not sure but had same probs as you trying to get my intel board running but without the existing hardrive lol. Ok from what i understand when ur pc beeps at you 9 times out of 10 its your memory its is either loose or shot. But a new reason came to light with my intel board all the memory banks have to be filled i was able to buy some blank memory sticks and problem solved. But now just cant get it to boot. hope this helps but as i say i am only novice i have only built about ten pc's. so far!!

Boba Fett
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: