MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: PC error
March 29, 2020, 03:51:10 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2020, 03:51:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  New Poll on our main page!
"My experience with Vista..."
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PC error  (Read 966 times)
Concho

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 11, 2005, 11:43:29 PM »

Hi, there is an error I keep getting on my pc, thought maybe somebody knew of any info about it. Ive had a look using google but have varying reports. Some say it could just be the cable or boot sequence and others think it is pretty serious, maybe to do with the hard drive:

Basically the computer lets out a beep or two while on then just freezes.

When I reboot it gives the error PXE-E61 : Media test failure, check cable,
Then PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE ROM

Here's my specs:

AMD Athlon 3000+, Asus A7N8X-X, 1GB Crucial PC2700, 120GB Maxtor HDD, Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600XT, Soundblaster Audigy 2, XP Pro with sp 2.

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 01:13:57 AM »

I've just done a Google search and most of the answers I get is that you need to go into your BIOS and disable either your LAN, or take it out of the boot-options.

Now, I don't know if you're using your LAN, but it might be worth to check.
Then the next thing you can try is a BIOS update. If you take the latest BIOS, all prior updates are included.

Jord.
Concho

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 09:38:55 AM »

I'm not on any type of LAN.

I checked event viewer but didnt find anything.  I have looked in the BIOS but cant find anything to do with PXE enable / disable.  Ive changed the boot sequence from 1. floppy, 2. cd, 3. HDD to 1. HDD, 2. cd, 3. floppy but I dont think this will make a difference.

The problem seems to be getting more frequent now.

After it freezes, when you restart the PC you get the media cable error. The PC will show that error every time I reboot until I go in and mess with the wires it seems.  Dont think it is heat related, it seems to occur after everything from 5 min to an hour or so on the PC.

I was on the net for an hour last night and had no problems.

So unless there's any other ideas I'll go ahead with a bios update?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: