MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Application Problems arrow Topic: Mozilla freezing up
October 13, 2019, 11:09:27 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 13, 2019, 11:09:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
12th Anniversary Celebrating 12 Years! (1997 - 2009) 12th Anniversary
Thanks to ALL that make this site what it is!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mozilla freezing up  (Read 2464 times)
Mouse_Nipples

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2005, 06:04:19 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:Windows XP
Problem Application Name & Version:Mozilla latest
Problem Hardware Make & Model:512 DDr
Error Messages:

I love Mozilla and prefer it to Internet Explorer.
I am having problems with it not starting up. I go to click on the icon to start browsing but nothing happens even if i click on it several times after waiting?
Everything else works even Internet Explorer?
After about 5-10 mins in finally kicks in.

This only happens on occasions 1 in 5 times but its driving me mad.

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 06:15:33 PM »

Open Task Manager (rightclick on the taskbar, choose task manager). Do you see an instance of mozilla in the list? If you do, rightclick on it and choose End Process Tree. Do so for all of the mozilla's in the list.

While you're in Task Manager, check what is taking up CPU cycles. Anything out of the ordinary that is taking up about 60% of the CPU? What? Can you stop that, the same way I showed above, or do you get an error message then?

Last thing, which Mozilla do you use? Firefox, or Mozilla Suite (alike the one I point to in my signature)? Which version? Have you tried uninstalling it, through Add/Remove programs, then reinstalling it (or installing a newer version)?

Jord.
Mouse_Nipples

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 06:55:01 PM »

Thank Jee for the quick reply.

It is version 1.00 Firefox.

I always try task manager first but it never shows any sign of Mozilla being there. I see hard drive activity but it just seems to take so long, so long sometimes I reboot several times before it its all working again.

One thing I forgot to mention is the problem is mainly on start up, I wait for everything to load then click on Mozilla.
What I did find is that it does work sometimes, if I do the above then before clicking on the Mozilla icon I open task manager then it will load sometimes?Huh??

I havent tried un/reinstalling but Im pretty sure I had the same problem just before I formatted.
I'm going to uninstall then download Mozilla suit and install. Shall let you know what happens.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 07:05:23 PM by Mouse_Nipples » Logged

Mouse_Nipples

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 09:52:43 PM »

Firstly Embarrassed
Before uninstalling Firefox I forgot to back up my bookmarks! I lost all of them!
Luckily system restore took me back 2 days and restored them. How silly do I feel.Grin

Is there a google search bar for the Mozilla suit? The interface is slightly different. With Firefox it sat quietly in the top right corner.

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 10:48:57 PM »

Yes there is. Although Mozilla Suite also got Google built in, in the side bar (Press F9, Search). But if you want to have the Googlebar at the top, that's possible.

But if you go to http://googlebar.mozdev.org/installation.html then scroll down to Version 0.8, you will find an option to install and an option to download.

Choose install, press OK on everything, then it will close down Mozilla. The next time you restart it, you will have the Googlebar at the top.
You can change it's settings from Edit, Preferences, Googlebar. Or simpler, press on the G sign next to the Googlebar and choose Googlebar options.

As for FF's bookmarks, I doubt they were gone.
Always check in C:\Documents and Settings\YourName\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\Some Number.slt for a file called bookmarks.html
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 01:34:47 AM by Ageless » Logged

Jord.
Mouse_Nipples

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2005, 12:02:53 AM »

Thank you Jee for your help. The Mozilla suit seems to be doing the trick. Wink
« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 06:18:18 PM by Mouse_Nipples » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: