MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: No Image to Monitor
November 13, 2019, 08:40:26 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 13, 2019, 08:40:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
12th Anniversary Celebrating 12 Years! (1997 - 2009) 12th Anniversary
Thanks to ALL that make this site what it is!
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: No Image to Monitor  (Read 3015 times)
Michael Muntz

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2005, 11:10:50 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows XP Prof.
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model: HP Pavilion XT936
Error Messages: Windows Has detected and error and has shut down to prevent damage to the computer. Stop Error

My computer was working fine one morning, until I left it and came back about an hour later only to see a blue screen with white text on it explaining it has found an error and shut itself down. It listed a Stop Error number which I regretabbly did not write down. The message also told me that if this is the first time seeing this message (it was) to restart the computer. And if it happens again, then to fix one of the following two problems. One was it could be a problem with the Video Card, or the other, a problem with the bios.
I thought nothing of it, and restarted my computer. When I turned it back on after having to shut it down by holding in the power button, nothing came up on the screen. The monitor was on and connected properly, and remained in standby mode. I shut off the monitor and turned it back on, and it told me there was no signal being sent to the monitor, and that message disappeared after a couple seconds.

A friend tells me it could be the video card due to no picture on the monitor, but also, the lights on the keyboard do not light up either.
Another friend says it might be the bios (which I have no idea about what that is) and finally, another tells me that it could be the battery on the motherboard.
My computer is only 3 years old since I bought it, but it was bought factory refurbished.

Please help me out! Thank you.

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 11:39:39 PM »

The first friend was right in saying that it could be the video card, do you hear any beeps when the computer is booting up??

The BIOS is Basic Input/Output System and contains information related to the basic operation of your computer, it contains info and settings for your CPU, video card, drives etc.

I doubt that there's a problem with the battery on the mobo because the battery only allows the BIOS to store it's settings and wouldn't have this kind of effect on the PC.

If possible I would try a different video card in the computer, one of your friends could loan you one or if you have a spare one lying around. If you hear any beeps when the computer boots up let us know.

Ross
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 11:40:54 PM by KaTaLy5t » Logged

You can't hug people with nuclear arms
Michael Muntz

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 02:45:34 AM »

No, there are no beeps. I will try the new video card idea, but don't know if it's worth buying an expensive one, because if that's not the cause, then I've wasted the money on it, but if it IS the case, then I don't want a cheap one either. lol

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 02:56:24 AM »

If there were no beeps at all, not even a single one that acknowledges that the machine POSTed okay, you're looking in the wrong direction. Not a broken videocard, but most likely a broken motherboard, since a broken CPU and/or RAM would also be noticed by beeps.

Jord.
Michael Muntz

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 04:06:31 AM »

Thanks for the advice Jee, but I'm not quite sure what you meant by posted....if you mean to this message board, I'm using my Macintosh for that...lol..but I'm sure you're talking computer talk....

When i power on my PC, the fan starts up, and it does it's normal crunching noises that happen like whenever a normal pc starts as it prepares to load. So it sounds like it's loading properly, but I'm not getting any signal sent to the monitor.

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 02:39:53 PM »

Jee said that one beep means that a computer has "POSTed" ok. Which means the the machine has passed its Power On Self-Test. The POST tests all of the components in the computer to see if they are working properly. One beep means that everything is ok and anything other than that means that something is wrong.

If there are no beeps at all then Jee is right in saying that your motherboard is probably fried.

Ross

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 05:08:24 PM »

Yes, sorry, I should've explained what I meant by POSTed, but I was tired and not trying to get too much in Ross his way. Yet since I didn't know what time Ross would be back and before you went out to get a new videocard, to then find it wouldn't do much either, I put in my post about the motherboard. I wouldn't want you to throw money away unnecessarily.

Jord.
KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2005, 05:23:22 PM »

No you wouldn't have gotten in my way. I'm glad to have input from other people, I should have said about what no beeps meant in my first post. It's hard to catch people on the forum at the right time sometimes, in Ireland and I'm sure in Holland too it's late at night and it's still only early evening in Canada and the US etc. Such is life!!

Ross

Michael Muntz

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2005, 09:56:45 PM »

Alright, thanks for the help guys. I had to double check the beeping scenario, and I'm positive there isn't one, just the humming of the fan.
So you're sure the motherboard is fried, and I don't just need to replace the battery? That's much cheaper! lol

But I've been looking at buying a laptop anyway...oh well......thanks again for the help.

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2005, 10:06:36 PM »

Yeah it's usually the motherboard if there aren't any beeps. I'm sure it's not the battery.

Ross

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2005, 10:08:43 PM »

No, if the battery was empty, the PC would start up normally (and beep once). It would just constantly ask you to go into the BIOS at every boot, to have drives detected and probably set the correct date and time.

All the battery does is make sure that the time& date keeps going and that all changes you make in the BIOS, which are stored in the CMOS, don't get lost every time you power down.

Jord.
Michael Muntz

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2005, 10:15:51 PM »

One last question here hopefully, is it possible to buy JUST the motherboard, or do I have to buy an entirely new computer altogether?
I am also wondering if there would be any problems on my hard drive due to this, or can I save the hard drive, and use it on another computer?

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2005, 10:20:23 PM »

You can buy another motherboard. The only problem with XP that you will run into, is that you will need to reinstall it, or repair the installation, since it is now set to use a lot of drivers for the old motherboard, which will most probably cause havoc on a new mobo.

But why don't you check what kind of motherboard you have now? I am sure we can point you in the direction of a similar motherboard (if it's not too old). Use CPUZ to find those things out. Motherboard brand and model, plus what kind of CPU, what kind of RAM etc. It will tell you all about it, so you can tell us. Smiley

Jord.
Michael Muntz

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2005, 10:36:40 PM »

k, looking at the "chips" that are on my motherboard, it says on a big gold one:
VIA VT8364A
0108 CD Taiwan
1JD007661

And there is a smaller black one that says almost the similar as the first...so it's a VIA motherboard if that means anything. lol
And since I can't see anything on my monitor when I turn on the computer, that CPUZ site won't help much. lol

But here's the info, best to my knowledge:
CPU - Hewlett Packard Pavilion XT936 with 1 GHZ AMD Athlon processor. Came loaded with Windows ME but I later upgraded it to XP Professional.
The RAM is: Infineon. It doesn't say on them how much memory it is, or what type, but I believe they are SD RAM 256 MB each.
Hope this helps Smiley

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2005, 10:53:19 PM »

Jord slaps himself hard and heavy for his head for pointing to CPUZ on a dead mobo. Grin

It's a VIA chipset, not necessarily a VIA motherboard.
I'll do a look see around and will post back some options tomorrow.

Jord.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 

Jump to: