MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: constant crashes
November 11, 2019, 10:42:33 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 11, 2019, 10:42:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: constant crashes  (Read 968 times)
squirelk

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2002, 07:19:19 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: XP home Edition
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

My computer has been giving me serious trouble lately. Recently it has been shutting down and restarting randomly. The computer will work for a little while, but it always freezes up with a couple hours.  Would this be more likely a hard drive problem, or a motherboard problem?  I can see some scorthing on my motherboard, and one time when i turned the computer on it started smoking.  Any advice is much appriciated.
THanks

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2002, 08:04:07 PM »

Dear friend, it sounds like you have a dust problem. After about six months of operation in dusty rooms, computers require a good vacuum. Yeah a good suck off.

Yes get the brushy nozzel out and carefully give the whole inside of your heap good Hover.

Best to remove the RAM before you do this as a shock will give you toasted ram. Have a look at the heat sink of the of the CPU. You guessed it, it's jammed full of dust. Well well well, you have an overheating CPU and this is the cause of you unexpected shutdowns. While your at it, check to see if you have run out of CPU thermal grease and whether the heat sink is really flat against the CPU.
I recommend that you go to http://Http://www.kickme.to/fosi and download CPUidle 5.9 for free of course and this will save your CPU from any more overheating problems. One more thing, have a looky at your fans. With the power off, just stick your fingers into the blades and rub off all that accumulated dust so they work more efficiently.

If your really a computer geek, do what I do and borrow mothers sable basting  or painting brush and use this like cleening your teeth to gently disturbe all the nooks and crannies of the surface mounted devices on your motherboard before vacuuming. Yes get it real clean.

If I am wrong about this it sounds like you have the wrong power supply connect.

Robert.........Good luck

Boppdity

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: