MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: viewing two monitors
November 13, 2019, 08:26:46 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 13, 2019, 08:26:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Help us help you! Help us help you by helping out! The more people know about us, the more help will be available. Click here to find out how...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: viewing two monitors  (Read 2020 times)
montjeu

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2005, 11:32:21 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

could anyone please tell me what i would need and how i go about having two monitors for my pc ?
i am playing online poker and want to have a different game on each monitor.
thank you

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 02:45:37 PM »

I don't think it's possible to have to different games running simultaneously on two different monitors, maybe there's a program that'll do the job but I haven't come across such a program.

You'll need a graphics card that supports multiple monitors to be able to use two monitors on the same system at the same time.

Ross

You can't hug people with nuclear arms
Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 05:00:43 PM »

No, the program (game) itself must be able to support multi-monitors. If it's not built in into the game, it's going to be very difficult to do (99% leaning towards impossible).

Jord.
KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 05:12:04 PM »

If the graphics card doesn't have the extra output ports then it will be impossible unless it's changed. I haven't seen a system where it's possible to run two seperate programs at the same time on two different monitors and then jump between them. That's me though, still learnin!

Ross

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 05:24:06 PM »

quote:
Originally posted by KaTaLy5t

If the graphics card doesn't have the extra output ports then it will be impossible unless it's changed.

Think about using two videocards. One AGP and one PCI or two PCI, or more. It's not really necessary for the AGP or PCI videocard to have multiple monitor output. Wink

Jord.
KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 05:33:08 PM »

Would that not cause problems in itself? Being young has it's problems, I haven't come across a PCI and AGP graphics card in the same system, or even the concept of it.

I just have an FX5200 and that does tv and multi-monitor support so I'm happy with that.

Ross

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 06:17:46 PM »

Okay, let's totally hijack this thread then. montjeu would do good unsubscribing from it, or not if he wants to learn a thing or two.

In the old days, before every manfacturer released one videocard with two or more monitor outputs, you'd use two or more videocards to output to two or more monitors. Think about a videowall, for instance. The OS you would use was Windows 2000, since Windows 98/ME wouldn't natively support more than one videocard. The other thing you could do with two videocards was use them in SLI mode, like 3DFX did. SLI standing for Scan Line Interleave, meaning that one videocard would only send the odd number of lines to the screen, while the other would send all the even lines to the screen. (Not comparable with the new PCI-E SLI, that's something different all together).

But then Matrox came up with the idea of dual-monitor use. One videocard with two video outlets, allowing two monitors at once to be attached to the videocard. By adding good driver support, they managed to do this for Windows 98, Millennium and 2000.

Then 3DFX (later nVidia) stole a lot of Matrox engineers plus the blue print for the next videocard and quickly rushed the market (as nVidia) with their new product, also supporting 2 monitor outlets. Ati, not to be left out did so as well. Matrox, after releasing the 3 monitor supported Parhelia, dropped gaming support and went totally for the business market, they still lead in multi-monitor videocards. Think about one videocard that can now play to 64 monitors at once. Instant videowall. Smiley

Anyway, that's things in a nutshell. As long as you have Win2k or XP, you can easily fill all your PCI slots with videocards, plus put an AGP card in and use all of them, if you have enough monitors.

But the trick is, the application or game must have the dual-monitor or multi-monitor support. Not all games or applications do. Just moving an application to the other screen is well possible, but with games it's more difficult, since you're stuck with the problem that you can only actively refresh one screen from the videocard. With tricks, updated DirectX support and more of that, it's well possible to have the RAMDACs cope with that, but if the game doesn't support it, all you get is one black screen and the other showing the game.

Btw, the problem with the refresh is also why you cannot use dual-screen mode with any OpenGL application or game. Since OGL doesn't support multi-monitors.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 06:19:25 PM by Ageless » Logged

Jord.
KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2005, 07:53:41 PM »

Well there's nice lesson on videocard technology. Thanks Jee. Maybe we'll let montjeu take his thread back!

Ross

prof100
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2005, 07:19:10 PM »

hi just try it that u link 2 pc's up together problem solved!
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2005, 07:42:09 PM »

quote:
Originally posted by prof100

hi just try it that u link 2 pc's up together problem solved!

Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2005, 07:44:18 PM »

Unlike the name does suggest, prof100, ladies and gentlemen, is nowhere near as professional as he sounds. Please ignore his advice and inform the Admin of any intrusions he makes in your threads.

Thank you.

Jord.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: