MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Networking Problems arrow Topic: ICS Client can't access web
November 18, 2019, 08:04:00 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2019, 08:04:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ICS Client can't access web  (Read 1012 times)
JanT

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2002, 01:22:48 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Win XP Home/Pro
Problem Application Name & Version: ICS
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

Hi there...

I've been all over the web and troubleshooters and cannot make my laptop (client) access the internet through my desktop's (host) ADSL connection. I've gone through the checklist on this site thoroughly, assigned different IPs to LAN NICs and run through the wizards. The machines talk to each other, I can access files on both machines but whenever i attempt to get on the net with laptop it stops at the gateway on the host PC. doing a tracert shows it connecting to host, then getting a timeout message.

Host has internet sharing enabled and the gateway shows up in Network Connections on client. I've tried with firewall disabled on all connections. Internet explorer is set up to connect through a permanent connection in network. Running the diagnostic provided by Windows reports failures on mail and webpage ping, the rest of the system passes. It seems the problem lies on the host machine not allowing the client to access the net.

The only protocols assigned to NICs are TCP/IP. ADSL NIC has dhcp enabled, Host LAN NICs is assigned to IP 192.168.0.1, subnet 255.255.255.0. Client NIC assigned to IP192.168.0.2, subnet 255.255.255.0 and default gateway is 192.168.0.1.

I saw something on Microsoft's webpage about win98 having trouble with ICS and DSL cards running PPPOE to connect to the net. My provider uses this, but I haven't been able to find anything saying that it will be a problem in XP and the solution on MS' page didn't seem to be applicable to xp.

It'd be great if you could help me out with this Smiley

Jan-Terje Vellene

nasTone

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2002, 01:40:56 AM »

Try and let your client computer obtain the ip address automatically. Also use DHCP for wins resoultion. And disable DNS. This is how I got it to work on my network. Well, kind of. Read my other post. "HELP HAS BEEN NEEDED FOR A LONG TIME NOW"

Image removed.
JanT

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2002, 03:19:43 AM »

Tried automatic settings and no DNS, but still no closer to the internet. Is there a box i tick off somewhere for WINS resolution? Can't seem to find it anywhere...

JanT

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: