MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Networking Problems arrow Topic: HOw to share Internet cable connection...
November 13, 2019, 08:52:50 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 13, 2019, 08:52:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: HOw to share Internet cable connection...  (Read 4191 times)
suhan

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2005, 04:11:11 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Win XP and Win 98

I have a switch, 2 NICs(each for a comp), a cable modem.

How do I share internet connection without having to get another IP address for my extra computer?

It will b much appreciated if someone can just show me step by step, at the same time, tell me what are the possible security problems I might face (like hackers and stuff.... ) Oh, and please list out all the extra hardware/software I need to get to set up the network.

THANKS ALOT!!! Smiley
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 04:13:57 AM by suhan » Logged

redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 11:12:17 PM »

Have you tested ICS yet?

suhan

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 01:37:49 AM »

Umm.. right now my modem is connected to my comp via LAN cable, and when I check my Network Connections, there's only one icon which says Local Area Connection, I can't ICS it..

redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 10:25:36 PM »

In that case, you'll probably need either a router (preferably a combo unit, router/switch) or a simple switch for networking your machines together.
The router option is better, as it will let you have both machines online, regardless of your ISPs rules and regulations.
Often the routers have a DHCP and NAT which will help you to configure traffic to and from your machines.
What make and model is the current cable modem?

suhan

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005, 12:23:27 AM »

http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/sb5100/

Can u show me step by step how I setup the whle thing with the router? I will really appreciate it!! Thx!

redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 10:05:21 PM »

Do you connect to the modem via Ethernet or USB at the current time?

suhan

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 01:47:41 AM »

Ethernet, but the modem also came with a USB cable, but the comp can't detect the modem via the USB when I run the installation program that comes with the modem..

redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2005, 07:35:58 PM »

You shouldn't really have to install any software for Ethernet connectivity. How do you connect to the modem from your main machine, if you want to configure anything?

suhan

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2005, 12:54:35 AM »

No no, the modem can be connected to the comp either by Ethernet or by USB, the comp can't connect to Internet for some reason, therefore I'm using Ethernet now. In Network Connections, there's only 1 icon called Local Area Connection, and I can't ICS it, so I don't know how to share my connection betw 2 computers..

myownalias

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2005, 05:20:06 PM »

As you cant get the USB to work, maybe some sort of USB hardware failure? Anyway, thats not the problem. What you need is to buy another NIC for your main machine, (which will require a spare PCI slot, so if you dont have that, the only other option would be a Ethernet router). With two NICs in the machine, you will be able to enable ICS. You cannot enable ICS at the moment because you only have one NIC, for ICS to work, you need an input and output NIC. The only downside to ICS is that you need to have Machine 1 switched on to allow Machine 2 to access the Internet.

suhan

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2005, 05:24:01 PM »

Oh, ok, thx alot! Smiley

redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2005, 12:12:31 AM »

I forgot that bit Embarrassed

Since you have the switch, you should have been able to get both machines online, but that would require a router to dish out the LAN IPs on the network. I'd trade the Switch in for a Router (a 4 port router will be fine). A router like that has a built in switch, so the machines will not clash enroute online:)

suhan

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2005, 08:45:57 AM »

Ignoring the Setup for Multiple IPs (10BaseT) caption, this is how my network looks like right now, except that in place of the Hub, mine is a switch with an uplink port (Or are they the same?Embarrassed). My cable modem is connected to the uplink port, and I have 2 computers which are connected to the other ports.

Below are the problems that I wanna solve:

• Only one computer is connected to the net and I wanna share the connection with the other comp  

• Each computer can't see the other in the Network Neighbourhood folder, even though they are on the same Workgroup, thus I can't share files (I didn't have this problem when I was using ADSL modem)  

• These are what I currently have:

• 2 computers, one running on Windows XP and the other on Windows 2000  

• 2 D-link DFE-538TX network adapters (one on each comp)

(image is frm http://www.expansys.com.gr)  

• A Linksys 10/100 5-Port Workgroup Switch

(image from http://www.linksys.com)  

• A Motorola SURFboard

redaxe
    Supreme Loonie
    Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: January 20, 2005, 06:38:31 PM »

Try one simple thing before splashing out the cash. Disconnect the modem from the Uplink port and put it in one of the numbered ports. Additionally, make sure both computers are also connected to numbered ports. See if that makes a difference.

I know that I made this mistake ages ago when I was starting out in networking.

myownalias

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: January 28, 2005, 05:09:53 PM »

I know that some ISP's somehow block the routing abilities of the modem, so you cant connect directly to a switch or hub. Which means that you will need to connect the modem to one of your PC's (which will be the default gateway) using a NIC, then you'll need a seperate NIC to output the ICS connection, which connects to the switch, then the second PC connects to the switch as normal.

So all you need to buy is another NIC for one of the machines.

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 

Jump to: