MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Networking Problems arrow Topic: Wireless network and Firewall?
September 17, 2019, 07:22:06 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 17, 2019, 07:22:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  New Poll on our main page!
"My experience with Vista..."
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wireless network and Firewall?  (Read 1326 times)
MMcamera

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2005, 02:12:39 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: XP Home
Problem Application Name & Version: Norton Firewall 2003
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

I recently switched to a wireless modem through sympatico so I could connect 2 computers to the same high speed connection.  The one computer is wired to the modem and it has XP and I had norton virus and firewall on it. Prior to changing to the new modem I would get notifications all the time about intruders and it would track the IP, etc.  Now I don't get them at all even though it says my firewall in enabled.  Does anyone know if it has something to do with the new modem?

The second computer is connected wirelessly.  It has Windows 98 and no updated virus software (I think it has Norton 2002 but not updated subscription) on it.  I imagine I should get that updated right away?  Does that make my wired computer vulnerable to viruses even if I have protection on it?

redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 11:20:11 PM »

To be brutally honest, you've been conned into getting Norton. It's a horrible piece of bloatware and it basically offers no real protection.

Get your hands on the tools from this thread.
My personal preference to a Firewall is Black Ice Defender, but if you want a free high quality firewall, I recommend Outpost and Sygate, along with AVG, Avast and Antivir virus detection programs.

Any of those mentioned will offer more protection than Norton can ever deliver.

Before you set any of them up, disconnect your computers from the Internet and uninstall Norton. Then install the firewall of your choice and Antivirus solution of your choice. Reconnect to the internet and update all definitions. That way you should be pretty well guarded.
Another thing that helps a lot is that you can let the firewalls block everybody silently. So you won't have to worry about anything anymore Smiley

MMcamera

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 06:05:28 PM »

Thanks, but your post didn't address anything I was asking about.  I am not looking for an alternative firewall I am looking for some help with my questions.  I'm hoping someone with sympatico and norton can help me out.

redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 07:53:43 PM »

So have you checked your configuration of Norton Firewall??
For either machine, that is.

It's entirely possible that somebody has set it to block silently.
So my earlier post wasn't entirely pointless Wink

Another possibility is that your new modem has built in NAT (Network Address Translation). If all incoming ports are blocked by default, that would explain the silence by Norton.

MMcamera

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 10:47:09 PM »

Ahhhh!!!  That is probably it.  I know the intrusion detection is on so the router probably has a firewall built-in.  Thank you and my apologies for being so harsh before....I was just frustrated that I couldn't find the answer.

redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2005, 11:55:02 PM »

Don't worry, I won't take things personally.
I just had to add my comment though, as it baffles me a lot why people insist on using the Symantec products. They've proven to be the worst pile of **** in the business. Though I must remember that for many it's a choice and who am I to rap their knuckles for it? Wink

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: