MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: go xp or 2000 professional
December 09, 2019, 04:39:05 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 09, 2019, 04:39:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: go xp or 2000 professional  (Read 1149 times)
doesntfit

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2005, 10:41:06 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

when i turn on my computer i have to choose rather or not i want to run windows xp or 2000 professional.  I had the 2000 professional installed on there after getting it wiped out and wanted xp.  When i got it home i put in my xp disk and installed it, now i have both installed on this computer.  I was wonder if that would couse the computer to reboot on its own all the time when i am in the middle of doing something.  Its getting kinda annoying haveing your computer reboot when your in the middle of doing something.  So can you let me know what the deal could be or how to get rid of windows 2000 professional?

Dawn Shrope
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 12:02:45 AM »

I can't see it rebooting out of the blue, despite you having two OS's installed.
The only thing that can cause the OS to fall over and reboot, is when the currently running Windows kernel fails. Of course that may be due to IE, Outlook, Outlook Express or anything else, that integrates with the OS, falls over. But those programs need a really big crash to take the OS down with them.

Don't worry about a thing really. Not unless something fails in the machine.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 12:05:56 AM by redaxe » Logged

raygu3

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 08:16:15 PM »

sounds like the worm/virus thats been out for couple years now
you got service packs loaded on both os's? if so which v.?
you got 3rd party firewall?
i dont trust xp's firewall if i were you id check there 1st

do win update

good luck

redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 09:52:13 PM »

To get rid of the Win 2000 option on bootup, you need to make sure that all hidden and system files are visible in Windows Explorer.
Then you need to find a file called boot.ini and edit out the line that mentions Win2k. That's all there is to it. No trojan or virus or anything of the sort causes this.

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 11:36:46 PM »

Win2K will still however, be on the HDD. By editing boot.ini you are only getting rid of the instructions for the computer to ask you which one you want.

It's possible to get rid of Win2K altogether though. I think for you to multi-boot OS's you need to have the two seperate Os's on seperate drive partitions. To get rid of Win2K you should format the partition that it is installed on to delete it.

Ross

You can't hug people with nuclear arms
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 09:55:47 PM »

Win2k will sit in a folder called WINNT by default.

What we need to know is whether or not he's got both Windows and WINNT folders on his main drive.

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 01:26:03 PM »

I thought you could only multi-boot OS's if the they were on seperate partitions?? I thought that if the two OS's were on the same partition it would cause problems.

Ross

You can't hug people with nuclear arms
Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2005, 01:31:38 PM »

Isn't problems exactly that that the threadstarter has? Wink
But yes Ross, you're correct in this. For compatible multi-booting, all OSes should live on their own partitions. What I understand though is that he doesn't want to be multi-booting. Yet as Tomas said, it all depends on where he installed his XP to, if it's now in the same folder as Windows 2000 was, it's going to be difficult.

Jord.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: