MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Security & Viruses arrow Topic: scarey text appearing in my email......
November 13, 2019, 03:07:28 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 13, 2019, 03:07:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: scarey text appearing in my email......  (Read 2862 times)
simonuk74

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 17, 2002, 12:15:04 AM »

I`m asking this for a friend, who I tried to figure out her problem... but I didnt succeed
ok, here goes ` trying ` to explain the problem.

ok, stanard email compose procedure : - load email page, log in , select compose - no probs there!
put an email addy in, write a subject title - again fine.

but as soon as she starts to write anything in her email letter window, she gets word appearing,  letter by letter, a few words then a pause, then some somre words, and so on.

to look at it, it seems as tho its a messenger program, but one side of the conversasion only..

now theres nothing suspect, as in , it is not aimed at her, and it doesnt even look like the person who is putting the text there knows that they are doing so.,  like a crossed telephone line.

a complete virus scan has been done, from her own pc - Mcaffee, and from Norton online scan, nothink found, and she does seem to keep on top of the anti-virus updates, so I dont think her system is harmed as such.. every thing else works fine.

at first I thought - gotta be a problem at Hotmail.com, as this is where it was happening, but then she showed me that Yahoo was doing the same!!???

she can send mail, but it usually contains half a conversation, from an unknown source?

any ideas Huh??

Simon

tincan
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2002, 01:16:55 AM »

What operating system is it? Are you using Windows XP?

http://www.opensourceinfo.org
OpenSource for an OpenMind.
http://www.moviehaven.ca
Your say about movies.
simonuk74

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2002, 06:47:06 PM »

windows 98 I think.
its not my PC with the problem, the persons who Pc has the problem lives in USA, as I`m in UK, so it was help over the net, but I`m pretty sure she is using 98, although, I couldnt say if its second edition, - I`ll try to find out.....

simon

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2002, 05:38:31 PM »

Hmmmm, I would suggest that you get a fire wall up and going as quickly as possible.

perhaps go to (link removed my Admin - see forum rules about keeping it legal!) and it will automatically down load a fully registered and free version of Mcafees latest fire wall program.

It sounds as if from my own experience that it is someone playing around with a hot copy of PC anywhere 10.5 and inadvertenly hacking your computer.

I may be way off the mark except that I had the same problem a year ago. A fire wall stopped it dead.

Enjoy the link as I am sure it will dissapear soon.....best wishes

Roby

simonuk74

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2002, 07:02:54 PM »

well, lucky for me, its not my Pc that has the problem, it`s a friends, who I met on the internet.
She said that she had a firewll up, Zone Alarm, but I couldnt tell ya what version.

wether it was working well enough, I`m not sure.
simon

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2002, 07:16:48 AM »

Go spurs.......

Give her this link to download the latest ZA release as it at last has sorted out all it's win98(SE) issues.

(link removed my Admin - see forum rules about keeping it legal!)

Oh, and for the very last time, here is the perpetual reg key for it
(reg key removed my Admin - see forum rules about keeping it legal!)

Now, you can be sure.

PS do Aussies still go to the Church on Sundays, I myself could never handle the warm flat pommie beer.

Have fun

Roby

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2002, 06:54:38 PM »

HI,

Take a look at this Microsoft KB Article

PRB: Random Characters Appear in Office XP Documents or the Internet Explorer Address Bar After You Install Speech Recognition

Does she have any speech recognition software installed and could she be perhaps using WinXP?

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
simonuk74

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2002, 10:19:51 PM »

I

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: