MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: win 95+98 all in one!!!!!!
November 13, 2019, 03:47:03 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 13, 2019, 03:47:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: win 95+98 all in one!!!!!!  (Read 956 times)
simonuk74

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 17, 2002, 12:30:40 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: mix of win95 & win98
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

My uncles pc was having few probs, and so he asked me to look at it.
I managed to sort most out within one visit.
the problem now is, when he got his PC it was a pre-built win 95 system with recovery disk
. but a little whail ago, hi motherboard died, so his friend put a new one in, a new CPU and win 98!.
in my absence, my uncle found another problem, and tried the win 95 recovery CD on the win 98 system.

now it on boot, says `starting windows 95`, then complains about a version mis-match. then it continues to load windows 98 - with no further problems.
I think he is very lucky to still have a working windows95/98 whatever!

I thought about upgradeing to win98SE, with the ugrade CD - not a re-install, in hope to replace / repair damged & lost win 98 files, maybe over-writing the win 95 stuff.

but I dont want to risk loosing his entire system, as he has LOTS of stuff.

so the other option is to try to change the splash screen , from the win95 one to the win98 one.  but I cant find the location of the win 95 splash screen, also has anyone got the win98 splash they could send me ?

thanks, simon.

tincan
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2002, 01:23:49 AM »

One thing that might be worth trying, is to get a windows 98 startup disk. Boot with the startup disk. Once at the dos prompt. Type the following:

a: <enter>
sys c: <enter>

you should get a message saying system files have been transfered, reboot and see if the message is gone. Basically this will put the boot up files back to windows 98. See if this helps and let us know.

http://www.opensourceinfo.org
OpenSource for an OpenMind.
http://www.moviehaven.ca
Your say about movies.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: