MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Dialup internet not letting me surf! Help!
May 28, 2020, 09:05:49 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2020, 09:05:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Article Writers We are looking for quality, informational articles to add to our Computer Articles
Please contact us if you are interested in submitting some....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dialup internet not letting me surf! Help!  (Read 1434 times)
Chammy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2005, 04:39:37 AM »

When I get onto the net using dialup, I only get about 5 to 10 minutes surfing time and then afterward I cant get on anywhere. BUT,  i can communicate thruogh MSN messenger, Yahoo mess, and Team Speak.  This started last week.

?
Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 03:38:56 PM »

Can you spare some more information, like Windows version, your used modem, drivers, browser version, your ISP, any error messages you get, what Event Viewer says, status of a firewall, what you browsed for, if you scanned for adware/spyware/viruses using Adaware, Spybot Search & Destroy and whatever AV scanner you use, like AVG Free version or Avast? Thank you.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 03:40:20 PM by Ageless » Logged

Jord.
Chammy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 06:19:56 PM »

Wooops, my bad.  I have:

AMD Athlon XP 1800 +
1. something ghz
512 mb ddr

I have ZA fire wall but expired trial version, spybot, adaware,  Sad

?
Chammy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 06:22:04 PM »

THIS JUST IN!!

Ok, here's something new.   I restarted and my ZA came on, which is weird, it never did that for sometime.  Now,  I disabled it and my internet connection has been fine now. I also disabled a few processes that were also going on in the task manager. Its working so far but for how long? I'm not sure so I'm eating it up right now.I had sbc dsl, then switched to Cable internet, then got it disconnected and now i'm using just a plain 56k modem.

?
Chammy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 06:23:06 PM »

THIS JUST IN!!

Ok, here's something new.   I restarted and my ZA came on, which is weird, it never did that for sometime.  Now,  I disabled it and my internet connection has been fine now. I also disabled a few processes that were also going on in the task manager. Its working so far but for how long? I'm not sure so I'm eating it up right now.I had sbc dsl, then switched to Cable internet, then got it disconnected and now i'm using just a plain 56k modem

?
Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 06:33:29 PM »

Zone Alarm may have been your cause for losing the internet. Didn't it say what exactly it was blocking? And how could you go from a speedy DSL/Cable connection back to a 56k modem? That's about as much fun as having your nails pulled out.

Jord.
Chammy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 08:27:49 PM »

Well see,  It hadnt been working at all at one time, I even tried uninstalling it and I got an error messege.  But later, after I restarted the computer I saw the ZA logo down at the bottom and i disabled it, now It is working. Not sure for how long but it is so far.  

The broadband delima?  I had Cable for I think 6 months, as a promo fee, I was able to have it, so all together with TV was 54 or 60 bucks, then the promo ran out, they disconnected me. SO therefore, no Cable.  I am going to hook up dsl again.  It seemd I had the same problems with Cable that I had with DSL anyways.

?
KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2005, 04:32:11 PM »

I had a similar problem witht Zone Alarm before. New updates for it come out every month or so and I had been downloading them for a while. I downloaded one update a while ago and it stopped all traffic, internet, e-mail, telnet, mIRC etc. I didn't notice for about week though because I had been busy and hadn't got the chance to use the computer. When I used the computer a week later and tried to use the internet I couldn't get any webpages.
       I was able to establish a connection with my ISP but I wasn't able to send or recieve anything. I rang my ISP and asked them but they just said it was an OS problem, which I knew was wrong so I started looking into it. I used one of the other PCs to check on the ZA site for any known related problems but found none.
      In the end I had to uinstall ZA and then install the version before the update I had downloaded. It worked perfectly and has worked with all subsequent updates. I never figured out why that version of ZA wouldn't allow any traffic.

Just thought I'd say that in case anyone has any similar problems with ZA.

Ross

You can't hug people with nuclear arms
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: