MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Unable to reformat?
May 28, 2020, 10:24:28 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2020, 10:24:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
12th Anniversary Celebrating 12 Years! (1997 - 2009) 12th Anniversary
Thanks to ALL that make this site what it is!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unable to reformat?  (Read 4149 times)
evo6

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2005, 07:22:54 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:Xp home
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:Laptop 1ghz 256mb
Error Messages:

Using Xp Home,on a laptop 1Ghz 256mg. This is the first time I have attempted to format a harddrive.
I have been trying to format the harddrve of the Xp disk, when I get to the partion stage it has two partions one 275mb unallocated and one "C"18.36gb NTFS healthy (system) primary partion.I't will not allow me to delete either partions. It says "This partion contains temporary setup files that are required to complete the installation." The only way forward is to copy over the top of the old installation and it does say the data will be deleted,but the data is still there. I always have asked for a new install and not a repair.I'm logged on as an Administrator.I have also gone into Disk management,when I right click onto the primary partion you can see where it says format but it's not highlighted so cannot use.A person I know told me to go to "Run type command and in DOS promt type format C: " It said "Format cannot run because the volume is in another process. Format may run If this volume is dismounted first.All open handles to this volume would be invalid. Would youlike to force a dismount on this volume? (y/n)" I press "y" and it then says, "Cannot lock the drive. the drive is still in use."
I have retried about four time the three ways to no avail.I'm not very computer literate.
Can anyone help?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 07:36:42 AM by evo6 » Logged

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 10:25:43 AM »

You are trying to format the Windows partition while you are in Windows, so that partition is in use. That's what that whole error message means.

Do you have a Windows XP Home CD? Or just that hidden recovery partition of 275MB?

Jord.
evo6

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 11:20:05 AM »

quote:
Originally posted by Jee

You are trying to format the Windows partition while you are in Windows, so that partition is in use. That's what that whole error message means.

Do you have a Windows XP Home CD? Or just that hidden recovery partition of 275MB?

I do have an XP Home CD.there is nothing on the 275MB partition.
How then should I format,I have read a lot of posts about doing this but I must be missing something basic.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 11:21:41 AM by evo6 » Logged

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 11:22:43 AM »

I should have asked the first time around if you have a floppy drive or CD or DVD drive in your laptop.
So do you have either?

Jord.
evo6

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 11:31:42 AM »

Cd drive and fdd

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 11:37:10 AM »

Okay. Last things I want to know: You've got the serial number for that Windows XP CD? Meaning it's an original, not a copy of a copy of a copy etc.? Wink Plus you do know that when we're through with all this that you need to re-activate your Windows?

If all that is fine by you, I'll go write up a whole manual for you, a step by step thingamawhatsit. Offline, will post it later today.

Jord.
evo6

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 11:42:14 AM »

Yes the original with serial number, it says I need to activate whithin about 30 days

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2005, 12:18:27 PM »

Heya, I'd like to know one more thing, for more service: What brand & model is your laptop?

Jord.
evo6

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2005, 12:28:26 PM »

Called "notebook computer" model 2200t made by "Clevo Co" made in taiwan

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2005, 01:11:34 PM »

Hi evo6,

What I will try to do in this manual is delete all partitions on your harddrive, then make one new partition, format that one to NTFS, install Windows XP Home to it and update it with all drivers for your laptop. That's procedures in a nutshell. Please read it all first before you go at it.

First off you need a Windows 98 bootfloppy. If you don't have one, don't fear, you can make a bootfloppy from an image file. All you need is an empty 1.44MB floppy, or one that can be overwritten.
Get this image file, save it on your desktop. When done, insert the floppy in the floppydrive and then doubleclick the icon of the image file you just saved. Follow instructions.

Then put the bootfloppy in your laptop, if you aren't working on it at this moment.
Reboot the laptop, it should boot from the floppy. If it doesn't, go into the BIOS/Setup (Wait until a cursor appears in the top right corner, then press CTRL+ALT+S at once) of the laptop and make sure that the Primary bootdevice is the floppydrive. Secondary is CDROM, Third is harddrive.

When you boot with the floppy, you'll get to an MSDOS menu. Choose the option that says "Boot to DOS without CDROM drivers".
You'll end up on a DOS command prompt, A:\> with a blinking prompt.

Type fdisk and hit Enter.
Press Y to use harddrives bigger than 512MB.
You're now in the Fdisk menu. Press 3: Delete partitions.
Rule of thumb is to always start from the last option when deleting partitions. So press 5. If no partition is found, press Escape (Esc) to end back in the menu, then 3, then 4 and so on until you're about to delete the Primary partition (3, 1).
Just follow the instructions on the screen. Where a name is needed to type in, do so. It'll be the name of the volume (partition name), which is shown.

If you managed to do all that, press Esc until you're in the main menu of Fdisk again.
Now press 1: Create partitions.
Press 1 again (Create primary partition).
Tell it to make a partition using 100% of the drive, or fill in the number as it is shown there.
When that's done, press Esc until you're back at the A:\> prompt.

Insert the Windows XP Home CD in your CDdrive and take out the floppy.
Reboot the laptop. You'll get a message saying "Press any key to boot from CD", so press Space. Windows XP Setup starts.
Just follow the instructions on screen, pressing Enter where needed and F8 to get past the license agreement.
Select the drive you want to install XP Home onto, then press F to format the drive. Choose the NTFS file system.
Setup will proceed with formatting, file-copying and then reboot. Leave the XP CD in the system, but don't press any key now after this reboot, so Windows Setup will continue on its own. Fill in the Windows Product Key and hit Enter and you'll be off to a good start at reinstalling Windows.

It should be an easy follow through after this.

If you need drivers for your laptop, then look in this link. But maybe you've gotten a driver CD with it, so check that first. The site to download from is a tad slow, I noticed. Wink

If you have any additional questions, don't hesitate to ask.
If the computer you're using at this moment is said laptop, I would advice you to print this all. Make sure you make copies of the links I gave you.

Jord.
evo6

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2005, 10:09:24 PM »

Thank's for that I'll see how I go,I'll try tonight after work.I do have a driver disk and I do have a desktop ythank godness

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2005, 10:11:36 PM »

quote:
Originally posted by evo6

thank godness

I've never been called that before. Grin

Jord.
evo6

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2005, 08:30:18 AM »

Goodness me.

I had a 98 bootdisk, everything went fine until I put in the XP disc. It said the following, "Boot cd-rom :no emulation booting. Press any key to boot from cd.....Missing operating system." Nothing happens when I touch any key.Sometimes a noise is made when I touch any keys.
The last time I was using this disc trying to install xp I had an error and it did not finish, But I would assume this would not be the problem as I have just deleted everything and created a new partition.There's no scratches on this disc.

evo6

evo6

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2005, 08:44:33 AM »

I've heard lots of posts about going into BIOS, how is this done?

evo6

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2005, 04:53:17 PM »

As I said above:
quote:
If it doesn't, go into the BIOS/Setup (Wait until a cursor appears in the top right corner, then press CTRL+ALT+S at once) of the laptop and make sure that the Primary bootdevice is the floppydrive. Secondary is CDROM, Third is harddrive.

But it is possible your XP CD doesn't allow booting. There are some which just won't do it, or the CDplayer in the computer is too old to be able to do it. It shouldn't be a problem though.

Boot with the Windows 98 bootfloppy again, this time on the menu choose Boot to DOS with CDROM drivers. Take notice of what drive letter is assigned to the CDROM player.
Insert the CD in the player, then type the following from the A:\> prompt. I am assuming the drive letter assigned to the CDROM is D:

D: {hit enter}
cd\i386 {hit enter}
winnt {hit enter}
Windows Setup should now start.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 04:55:14 PM by Ageless » Logged

Jord.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 

Jump to: