MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Cannot install 4th CD Drive on Windows 2000 CPU
June 07, 2020, 02:00:11 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2020, 02:00:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cannot install 4th CD Drive on Windows 2000 CPU  (Read 2513 times)
Grantler

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2005, 02:46:38 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows 2000
Problem Application Name & Version: Benq 16x DVD writer, Daemon Tools
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages: In the body of this message

Hello...I have already received help for another problem and decided that this would be the best area to post this problem...

I have had two problems, both relating to trying to install a 4th CD drive on my system.

First of all I have two cd drives: A Mitsumi CR-48XCTE and Sony CDU5211 are my internal cd drives.

I also installed my Benq 16X external DVD drive/writer fine without any problem.

But, when I tried to install the virtual daemon tools drive my computer would crash and get the BSOD...

Then I uninstalled the Benq drive and loaded up the daemon tools virtual drive without any trouble.

So I tried to install the Benq drive and the following error occured against and crashed my system...

***STOP 0x0000001E (0xC0000005, 0xEB491A59, 0x00000000, 0x00000028)

***Address Eb491A59 base at EB490000, DateStamp 3d90d765 - Cdr4_2k.sys

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 03:16:49 PM »

Can I ask why you need 4 CD drives??

Ross

You can't hug people with nuclear arms
Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 04:14:48 PM »

If you're trying to build a CD-server, why not splash out for an OS that can handle that, like Windows 2003 Server or a Linux OS? If you're not trying to build a CD-server, then I would also like to know why you need 4 optical drives (as opposed to, say, a CD-changer).

Jord.
Grantler

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 04:30:18 PM »

Well I guess I could take one of the internal cd drives out.  As for why I wanted four.

I like to have a virtual drive and a cd drive but with the addition of my external dvd burner, I was just going to use it for DVDs and the internal cd burner for cd's still.

I take it 2000 does not support 4 cd drives.

Grantler

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 04:32:23 PM »

The main reaason is that I am not very good with computers and my computer came with two internal drives.  But, I wanted a DVD burner to back up my movie collection but I also find a virutal drive handy.  Is trying to remove an internal drive my only option?

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 04:41:24 PM »

Removing the internal drive is easier than it sounds. If you really don't need the 4 drives then I'd say it's the best way. You don't have to be good at computers to do it.

All it involves is opening up the case (a couple or screws) and removing the drive by unscrewing it from the drive cage and unplugging the cables from the back of it. Then all you have to do is put the other drive in it's place and you're in business.

Ross

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2005, 04:44:47 PM »

I keep wondering how you connect it all, as there are only 2 IDE connectors on any normal given computer, unless you have your harddrive connected to a RAID connector, or it is SATA.
Then there's the powering of it all, but I assume you got that covered. Yet there's no way I can see how you use all 4 of them at the same time, not even for games. Hence my confusion. Wink

Win2k should be able to do it, for as long as there's letters in the alphabet, it'll be able to.
Anyway, your error message above is handled on this page. Read through it slowly, then come to the conclusion it's drivers, or insufficient space, and not the OS that's causing this. I know the page talks about Windows XP, but since Win2k was the predecessor of XP, the error is the same.

Jord.
Grantler

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2005, 04:48:21 PM »

Well, my computer people put in the internal drives and just recently I have put on the daemon tools program and then tried to plug in the external dvd writer through the USB.  Could it be that the daemon tools virtual drive and the external DVD burner are conflicting when installation is taking place?

Grantler

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2005, 04:51:02 PM »

Wouldn't my internal drives be on the IDE connectors since there are only two and since the daemon tools drive is just a program and my dvd burner connects through my USB ports?

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2005, 04:52:53 PM »

If the external CD drive is USB then you can't really put that in the case. Anything is possible in Windows. Nothing really surprises me about Windows anymore!

Ross

Grantler

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2005, 04:57:43 PM »

Yes I dont understand this. Both the virtual drive and the dvd burner work fine when only one is installed, but crash the system when I try both.  Quite odd.

Grantler

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2005, 05:02:11 PM »

Is it possible that the daemon tools virtual drive just conflicts with the Benq external DVD writer...maybe another type of virtual drive would be more accepting??  If this is the case, do you know of any?

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2005, 05:05:28 PM »

I don't know of any other virtual drive, Jee will probably know more about that.

It is possible that the the virtual drive conflicts with the Benq.

Ross

Grantler

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2005, 05:08:40 PM »

I will try to find another one and give it a shot.  Hopefully it works.  Something has to be conflicting with the two.  If this doesn't work I will just burn off of a different system.

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2005, 05:10:55 PM »

I'm not sure if another one will work because I don't know what exactly is causing the conflict. The Benq may just not work with a virtual drive?

Ross

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 

Jump to: