MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: D: drive is missing!
September 20, 2019, 06:38:37 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2019, 06:38:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
12th Anniversary Celebrating 12 Years! (1997 - 2009) 12th Anniversary
Thanks to ALL that make this site what it is!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: D: drive is missing!  (Read 1355 times)
Shuichi

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2005, 02:25:48 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: winXP (Home Edition)
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages: none so far

Hiya guys!

I seem to have lots of computer problems, but lucky me this post is not for my computer!

I am posting here for my friend so that maybe you and i can help her.

She has a home computer with two seperate harddrives (C: and D:).

Today she reformatted her computer. She says it's beacuse a) she had a virus and b) nothing was working to it's full potential. She tells me that her harddrives are not "partitioned" so she refotmatted C: and left D: alone. she re-inatalled her winXP disk on C: alone.She has never had any problems doing it this way before.

Herein lies the problem:

- after reformatting C: drive if fine but D: drive seems to be missing. She says it looks like it's working when she looks at "device manager" however if she uses "my computer" or "windows explorer" she cannot see ofr access the drive.

- the CD drive (formerally E:)now seems to be the new d: drive. whenever she clicks on d: the CD opens.

- her a: drive works fine (if that matters)

So if you guys can help her out that would be cool. I can easily get more information for you.

Thanks a bunch,

Shuichi

My only wish is to understand what's going on!
Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 11:31:21 AM »

May I ask how she formatted her harddrive? If she did do so through MSDOS, with the help of a bootfloppy, there's a 50-50 change she formatted the wrong harddrive, because Windows XP natively uses NTFS as the filesystem. This filesystem can only be read by the Windows NT versions, not by Windows 9x/SE/ME or any of their bootfloppies. For these that drive won't exist, it will just jump to the next available harddrive it can read the contents of and name that C:

So if in this case the D: drive was normal FAT32, a filesystem MSDOS can read without problem, she has formatted the wrong drive. The problem with that analogy is, as soon as she would reinstall Windows, it should have told her that it found an old Windows version on her C: partition and if she wanted to overwrite it or repair it.

How did she reinstall Windows? Has she been doing any internal stuff? Has she checked if all cables are still firmly in place? Tried another power cable or IDE cable on said harddrive?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 09:35:31 AM by Ageless » Logged

Jord.
Shuichi

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 10:20:58 PM »

Hmm she said something about using the winXP disk itself to reformat, but i am not sure. I will ask her and let you know.

Thanks,

Shuichi

My only wish is to understand what's going on!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: