MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Help enabling dma in win98se
November 19, 2019, 05:51:12 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 19, 2019, 05:51:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  New Poll on our main page!
"My experience with Vista..."
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help enabling dma in win98se  (Read 4677 times)
noida

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2005, 02:45:09 PM »

Help! I'm having trouble getting an NEC 3500 DVD RW drive to write DVD +R discs where the write speed options are 2.4x and 4x only.(I can manage DVD-R but only at 2x) and wonder if it's anything to do with DMA. In device manager there is no option to enable DMA and if the problem is here how do I 'enable'. I saw the following post on this site and wonder how to do this on my system.
Hope somebody can help.
regards
Dan
 'Post of 5 Jan.2004' -""To enable DMA in Windows Me and 98SE:
1. Right-click My Computer, and choose Properties from the pop-up menu.
2. Click the Device Manager tab, and then click Device Manager.
3. Click the plus sign (+) beside Hardware Controllers.
4. Right-click the IDE disk, and choose Properties from the pop-up menu.
5. Click the Settings tab, and select Enable DMA.
6. Click OK to the alert about enabling DMA.
7. Click the plus sign beside CD-ROM.
8. Right-click the CD-ROM drive, and choose Properties from the pop-up menu.
9. Click the Settings tab, and select Enable DMA. (This option won't appear if the CD-ROM drive is not connected to the IDE chain.)

System:
Advent 3062 (can't see this on the 'Advent' website)
Gigabyte GA-71XE
AMD Athlon 700
128mb RAM
Maxtor 9 30 gb HDD
ATI All-in-wonder 128
Sound Blaster AudioPCI 128 Legacy
Toshiba combo CD RW/DVD player
NEC ND 3500A DVD RW (new)

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 03:03:45 PM »

May I ask what burning program you use to burn to disc with?

Jord.
noida

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 04:42:44 PM »

Thank you for getting back. The burning software used is Nero 6?

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 04:57:34 PM »

Okay, having found your drive at NEC UK, it does say:

Write Speed: DVD+R: 16 max., DVD+RW: 4x max., DVD+R9: 4x,. DVD-R: 16x max,. DVD-RW: 4x. CD-R: 48x max,. CD-RW: 24x max.

Yet it also says:
Burst Transfer Rate: PIO mode 4/Ultra DMA 33
IDE/ATAPI interface with UltraDMA 33 (max. 33 MByte/sec transfer rate)

Checking PIO Mode versus DMA, I think you should go check in your BIOS if your drives are set to the correct DMA mode. If your drive is running at PIO Mode 4, it's slower already (16.6MB per second), so you need to get it to UDMA/33 then.

May I ask where the drive is, in connection to any other drives in the system? Is it connected to its own IDE cable, or is there another drive on there as well? Is this drive Master or Slave? And most importantly, what kind of IDE cable are you using?

Also check this firmware speed hack, it may help.
It's also possible that Dual Layer discs are still not above 2.4 to 4x.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2005, 05:02:16 PM by Ageless » Logged

Jord.
noida

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 06:58:11 PM »

Jee
Had a look in the BIOS - not sure what I'm looking for, but don't see any reference to PIO, not much I can change for DMA either.
Reading the link you noted, still trying to make sense of it. Might try downloading the HD Tach - unsupported version - to see if it makes sense.
The hard drive is on the primary master - on its own. The NEC drive is set as master to a Toshiba CD-RW/DVD player combo drive. Cables used are 40's
Thanks again
Dan

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 08:38:37 PM »

quote:
The NEC drive is set as master to a Toshiba CD-RW/DVD player combo drive.

This could well be your problem, especially if you're trying to copy on the fly. All that data has to go through the IDE flatcable to the CPU, which then determines it has to go back up that same IDE flatcable to the other drive.

Try in cases as such to put one of the optical drives behind the harddrive.

Jord.
noida

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 10:23:53 AM »

Thanks J
I will probably avoid copying on the fly although I have managed to copy an 'instructional material' type of DVD successfully.
2 points:
1. The flat cable to the hard drive, apart from not being long enough to reach between the hard drive and an optical drive, seems to have more 'wires' than the cables to the optical drives so can this work ok with a DVD drive attached along with the hard drive?
2. While I was inside the case and deciding to leave the cables as they were for the moment, I did change the 'master'/'slave' of the optical drives out of curiosity and now find that on the original CD-RW/DVD combo drive, in device manager there is the option to check/uncheck DMA. But only for this drive???
Is this DMA thing an issue?
If you still suggest putting one of the drives on the same cable as the hard drive, I'll go and acquire some new cables which will bridge the spaces.
Hope to hear your further thoughts.
Dan

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005, 11:06:07 AM »

quote:
Originally posted by noida

1. The flat cable to the hard drive, apart from not being long enough to reach between the hard drive and an optical drive, seems to have more 'wires' than the cables to the optical drives so can this work ok with a DVD drive attached along with the hard drive?

Shouldn't be a problem, as UDMA/66 and above is backward compatible with UDMA/33. So a 40 pin/80 strands cable should work okay.

quote:
2. While I was inside the case and deciding to leave the cables as they were for the moment, I did change the 'master'/'slave' of the optical drives out of curiosity and now find that on the original CD-RW/DVD combo drive, in device manager there is the option to check/uncheck DMA. But only for this drive???
Is this DMA thing an issue?

Well, you could try to switch your optical drives, so the old one is master and the new one is slave, see if that brings about any change.
What DMA does though is bypass the CPU, going directly to the memory for write and read passes. DMA = Direct Memory Access. If it needed to go to the CPU first, it would only slow things down. Well, what it is doing at this moment, I think. Wink

The thing is though, only one drive per IDE flatcable can use DMA. If one is using it already, the other cannot. So check to see if the old one isn't already using it.

Jord.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: