MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Application Problems arrow Topic: trying to install windows 98 from burned copy
November 15, 2019, 04:55:12 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 15, 2019, 04:55:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: trying to install windows 98 from burned copy  (Read 1995 times)
kj98

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 20, 2002, 04:53:00 PM »

im trying to install windows 98 on a formatted system and i have a burned copy of win 98 and i cant get it to install from dos command promt if you have any info how to do this plz help me thank you kj98

PengWin

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2002, 06:27:57 PM »

Hi,

are you using a Win98 boot disk?

kj98

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2002, 06:45:31 PM »

quote:
Originally posted by PengWin

Hi,

are you using a Win98 boot disk?

yes and i have a burned copy second edition 98 on cd andi can bring the dir up onit but i cant figure out how to get it to install it wont do it automaticly

PengWin

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2002, 06:55:03 PM »

is your Hard drive completly wiped out? did you use something called FDISK to wipe it out and then remember to reformat the c:\ drive after  you use FDISK?.  If you have, then did you try typing in SETUP or going into the win98 directory and typing in setup?

kj98

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2002, 08:39:03 PM »

i formatted the c drive and used a 98 boot disk to boot it and i have tried typing setup and setup.exe ect. i have tried alot of things and none seems to work ! was just courious if anyone knew anything more about dos its greek to me thanx for any help anyone can give me ! i used hotburn cd burning program to burn the disk ! i wish i had the original back but i borrowed it from a freind who is no longer around ! i can put the disk in my other puter an browse thru all the files but cant get it to work on the formatted system

ZZZ7

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2002, 10:59:15 PM »

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/install/windows_install.htm

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/

ZZZ7

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2002, 11:05:13 PM »

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com/support/windows/readme/98/W98setuptxt.asp

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support/windows/readme/98/W98setuptxt.asp#dos

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2002, 02:05:54 PM »

Hello Hacker,

Try getting some car polish to reshine your scratched pirated:-X CD or you could try ... setup.exe /is /ia ... without the dots.

Also if you can transfer the files to your hard drive first, say using an old version of 95 as an OS. It tends to greatly improve the readability of the illegally criminally insane mass mauradering hippy hackers burning hot stolen softwarez8) that you were supplied with.Huh?

But if you really want to know how to do. Then set your BIOS to boot from CD. Put the CD in the CD-rom player, re-boot and hey presto it will load for you, no hands.Smiley

My heartfelt advice is to go and buy a copy of win98 ($40) from a good second hand PC shop and be sure that your future data is not ruined by a bad copy of 98.Shocked

Good luck

Bert

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2002, 03:21:19 PM »

Hmmmmmmm better tel ya how to di it, eh.

Installing Win98 from your hard drive is a great time-saver-if you have about 105MB of hard disk space to spare. If you don't, you're going to have to do it the old-fashioned way-from the CD-ROM. You can perform a CD-ROM-based setup in several ways. We've chosen the system boot floppy disk method for its flexibility. You'll need to know DOS commands and syntax, because system configurations vary, and you may need to figure some things out on your own. If you're not sure you can handle this, stick with the upgrade-install method.

First, find your Windows emergency boot floppy disk. (If you don't have one, make one, following the steps shown below.) Next, enable CD-ROM access from DOS by locating and enabling the two real-mode (DOS) drivers for your CD-ROM drive. (If you're using Win3.x, those drivers are already running from your CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files. Win95 disables at least one of them in favor of faster virtual device drivers that work only in the graphical interface.)

One of the drivers, MSCDEX.EXE, is already on your Startup boot floppy. The other is specific to your CD-ROM drive, so its name will vary, but it has a SYS extension. You'll have to do a little sleuthing to find it. Look in your root directory for CONFIG.SYS, CONFIG.DOS, CONFIG.BAK and similar files. Open each in Notepad and look for a line like DEVICE=C:\CDROM\IDECDDRV.SYS /D:MSCD000. (SCSI CD-ROM drives often use the ASPICD.SYS driver, but there are many variations on that name and many other brands.)

If you're not successful, look for a directory of files provided by your PC maker using Win95's Find Files and Folders utility. Search that directory for folders with a SYS extension. The proper driver often has the letters CD somewhere in its name. If you're still having trouble, ask your PC maker where to find the driver.

Some newer PCs with Win95 preinstalled don't come with a real-mode CD-ROM driver, which means you won't be able to boot to DOS and access your CD-ROM drive. If you can't locate your CD-ROM's driver, try shutting down and restarting in MS-DOS Mode. Insert a CD-ROM, and see if you can access the drive at the command prompt by typing its drive letter followed by a colon. If that works, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to reboot and hold down the F8 key when you see Starting Windows 95.... When the boot menu appears, choose Command Prompt Only. At the C: prompt, type DOSSTART.BAT and press Enter. Now try accessing your CD-ROM drive again from the command prompt. If it doesn't work, your best bet is to clear away the extra hard disk space and perform the clean install from your hard drive.

Now, set up both CD-ROM drivers by copying the proprietary CD-ROM driver file to your Startup diskette. You'll be creating new CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files on your Startup diskette. Using Notepad, open CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT from your hard drive's root directory, and save them with the same names to the Startup floppy disk. Add the following lines to CONFIG.SYS on the floppy disk:
DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS (if it's not already there) DEVICE=your device driver name.SYS /D:MSCD000

Now add or modify the following line to AUTOEXEC.BAT:
MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000 /your CD-ROM drive letter

Because of the location change, you may need to edit the path statements of any other lines in the two DOS initialization files that call files on your C: drive. Note any path that refers to your Windows folder or its subfolders, because you'll be altering that folder in the next step. You'll either need to move those files to your floppy disk or to a new directory on your hard disk, and change the path names accordingly. Reboot to whichever disk you're preparing, then test the CD-ROM drive's operation from the command line.

Now, decide whether you want to delete or save your old Windows installation. If you have the hard disk space to save it, from the A:\ or C:\ prompt, type: REN C:\WINDOWS WIN95 (or WIN31) and press Enter.

Out with the Old

To delete your previous Windows folder, examine it for files you might need (such as OUTLOOK.PST, if you're using an older version of Outlook). Copy or back up any important files and folders in your Windows folder, and type A:\DELTREE /Y C:\WINDOWS. Next, insert the Win98 CD-ROM into your drive, and type your CD-ROM drive letter and then :\SETUP. Now, pick up with the steps concerning the Select Directory screen described in the main story under the "Do the Deed" subhead.

Go Berty

kj98

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2002, 06:19:39 PM »

just a quick note to say i got it up an running thank u to all for ur info !! but what i had to do was yes make another copy !! i transfered it to my hard drive on my other puter and reburned it and all is well !!sometimes a brainfart is in order and i should have thought of this first but hey atleast its fixed thanx all

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: