MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: HT 3.0 P4 REBOOTING
November 19, 2019, 05:27:03 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 19, 2019, 05:27:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: HT 3.0 P4 REBOOTING  (Read 1956 times)
delta

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2005, 05:43:32 PM »

can some one help with this one?
built a p4 sys 3.0 HT  gigabyte 848p board
g-force 8xagp 5200 128mb graphics,
ddr-512 -pc3200
1x seagate 40 gig hard drive  for now
when first built was restarting dont know why checked bios and all drivers was installed ok, about 2 weeks down the line the system was fine did not restart WOW fixed itself,
just formated and i have the same problams again,
ive spoke to some people and they think it might be the hard drive on the way out ,but befor i built this system the hard drive was working fine in the old machine , it many reboots when loading programs,ive installed the chipset driver and updated the bios,all updates are installed ,new 5200 driver installed,whent to seagate website and downloaded there dig-tools system program,it scaned my hard drive and it came back all ok ,the <ram>pc3200 512 is a new chip befor this i had a pc2100 chip and that was the same as well so i know it cant be the ram ,but any help would be great thank you,

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 08:29:03 PM »

Hiya Delta,

You got a hardware problem most likely. Are you sure the board is not touching anything. Are your motherboard risers all in place? The board could be touching the case somewhere, shorting it out, causing it to reboot. Also make sure the heatsink is properly placed on the cpu and the fan is spinning. If it would overheat that would cause it to reboot.
The power supply, whats the watts on it?
Its possible it could be the h.d.d. They give no warning when they decide to die on ya.

Hope some of this has helped Smiley

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 09:16:46 PM »

hi there thank you for your reply ,all the risers are all in place,but they are not the screw in ones they are the silver ones built in case well looks that way,bigger and wider?
the  psu is q-tec psu 550w triple fan ,
the heatsink and fan are all seated nice ,with compound
and the cpu fan is akasa and can cool up to 3.4  i have had the problam befor with the brass screw in risers whitch it i was one over and that one stoped it from booting up,but fair point i will have to doulbe check the risers ,but it boots up fine and can stay on for quite some time but as soon as i open outlook or a wired page on the net or exe file thats it boom.off  thank you

delta

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2005, 09:37:36 PM »

the cpu temp seems to be holding at 52-to-57c
and am runing 2 case fans ,total temp in case 25.c
and will check risers first thing,

delta

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005, 10:59:59 PM »

hy i dont suppose putting the rong cd-key in windows would have anything to do with it??as when i came to install sp2 it said invaild windows -key ,
but if that was the case i would have thought windows would not have installed anyway,
just a thought!

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2005, 10:49:48 AM »

The invalid CD key shouldn't cause problems like that. The temperature seems good enough too. Are you saying that the computer will stay on until you try to run a program or is it just particular programs that cause it to reboot.

Ross

You can't hug people with nuclear arms
delta

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2005, 11:37:56 AM »

hi ive striped the motherboard out and doulble checked the risers and all ok all6 are in place 2 top 2 center 2 at the bottom ,
put back together but still no luck,
it shut down while i was on this page when i hit submit button,:(
« Last Edit: January 27, 2005, 11:54:09 AM by delta » Logged

delta

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2005, 11:50:43 AM »

no its still rebooting      i whent to <change a setting!>and rebooted ,how unlucky is this

X-ti

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2005, 12:08:03 PM »

Could it be a driver issue? Possibly a conflict somewhere.

My initial thoughts would be to try running a live Linux CD (I love live distros, so convenient and good to check things) and see if you can replicate the problem in Linux.

If not, it's a software or driver problem. If it still restarts, then start looking at your hardware.

Your temperatures are not high enough, I don't feel, for it to be rebooting. They are high, but not dangerously high.

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2005, 03:28:06 PM »

1) Check Event Viewer for any errors in the System Log (Start->COntrol Panel->Administrative Tools->Event Viewer).
2) The RAM... Which slot is it occupying? The same one as where you previously had your old RAM in? Have you tried moving the RAM up or down one slot?

Jord.
delta

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2005, 01:05:07 AM »

well get this ! after i striped it all apart and put back together and still no luck,i decided to format what have i got to lose! a full ntfs <not quick> renstalled the whole lot and its now 12 55 and it has not rebooted yet ,it seems to be fine now runing all programs fine and can enter outlook and exe files sorted
but what caused it i dont know still,  would it be somethink to do with the  <quick ntfs format>? maybe i dont know, i know last time i had virus on it and maybe the quick format did not get rid of them fully and infected the boot sys and they still was on the hard drive?dont know ,but like to thank you all for helping on this question, but would like to know just in case for the future if it happens again, so any hints feels free    thank you all,:)Shocked
« Last Edit: January 28, 2005, 01:07:00 AM by delta » Logged

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2005, 10:51:52 AM »

This is taken from the Microsoft support website:

When you choose to run a regular format on a volume, files are removed from the volume that you are formatting and the hard disk is scanned for bad sectors. The scan for bad sectors is responsible for the majority of the time that it takes to format a volume.

If you choose the Quick format option, format removes files from the partition, but does not scan the disk for bad sectors. Only use this option if your hard disk has been previously formatted and you are sure that your hard disk is not damaged.

If you installed Windows XP on a partition that was formatted by using the Quick format option, you can also check your disk by using the chkdsk /r command after the installation of Windows XP is completed.

I'm thinking the virus wasn't removed when you did the quick format.

Problem solved. Will lock this topic now.

Ross

You can't hug people with nuclear arms
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: