MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Cannot Defrag Computer
September 20, 2019, 12:05:02 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2019, 12:05:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cannot Defrag Computer  (Read 1713 times)
Sueinns

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 21, 2002, 11:40:51 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows ME
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model: MDG
Error Messages:
Scan disc keeps restarting.  Tried safe mode and same thing happened.  Got this message "Blocked Disc Utility" when attempting to defrag.  How do I unblock a disc utility?

tincan
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2002, 03:56:51 AM »

Have you tried scandisk in dos mode? If not then boot the pc, and get the Windows Startup menu (safe mode). But instead of picking safe mode, select command prompt only. Once you have c:\ up, then type "scandisk" (without the quotes) and hit enter. This should do a scan disk. Once done it will ask if you want to do a surface scan, just select no. Hope this helps.

http://www.opensourceinfo.org
OpenSource for an OpenMind.
http://www.moviehaven.ca
Your say about movies.
belveder

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2002, 01:05:53 PM »

You can try turning everything else of that is running.  I had a similar problem once or twice with Jet Defrag in System Suite.  Had to run Scandisk, then run the Winblows built in defrag first.  After that it worked fine.  Never understood how it happened but it worked.
Just an idea

Image removed.
shaz17

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2004, 12:59:20 PM »

I tried all the above and scan disk says no errors, but can not defrag or any of the other maintainance things. It just freezes and i have to reboot. I am running win98 and as soon as i run maintainance wizard and it gets to file allocation tables it freezes. Any Ideas. I am wondering whether to reformat and reinstall to see if this cures the prob. Or is there an easy way???
Thanks

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2004, 02:28:46 PM »

Try to boot into Windows Safe Mode (Press F8 repeatedly upon a cold boot or a reboot, from just after the POST, until you get to a menu. Choose Windows Safe Mode from there).
Then defrag your harddrive.

Else make sure that nothing else is running in the background, meaning no other programs that are accessing the harddrive, as AV programs, firewall, anything writing a log file or even the Windows Scheduler.

Jord.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: