MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Boot-up Errors on W/ME
November 16, 2019, 01:47:37 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 16, 2019, 01:47:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
12th Anniversary Celebrating 12 Years! (1997 - 2009) 12th Anniversary
Thanks to ALL that make this site what it is!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Boot-up Errors on W/ME  (Read 845 times)
Gordon

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2005, 07:52:49 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows ME
Problem Application Name & Version: Windows ME
Problem Hardware Make & Model:  
Error Messages:  I receive several error messages upon booting my computer: "qqtask has caused an error in Kernel32.dll", "Explorer has caused an error in shdocvw.dll", and "Rundll.32 has caused an error in Kernel32.dll".  In addition to these errors my display resolution has been reset to 640 by 480 and the laptop can only display 16 different colors.  I have tried System Recovery, it didn't resolve the problem.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks you, Gordon

« Last Edit: February 01, 2005, 05:07:25 PM by Ageless » Logged

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 05:13:20 PM »

Moved you to the correct forum there, as the errors you encounter are not applications, but more like Windows errors.

Sounds like you have a sick baby on your hands, as when you run into "Rundll32.exe has caused an error in Kernel32.dll" errors, you have to worry. Rundll32 is the Windows program that runs almost everything, while the Kernel is Windows itself.

Can you reinstall Windows over itself? That would be the quickest fix, in my opinion.

Jord.
NoelMVP

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 11:30:55 PM »

"System Recovery" is nothing to do with Windows - it's a OEM-supplied 'recovery application' which normally resets the system to the factory settings (and loses all your data in the process)

OTOH, if you mean that you attempted to use System Restore (wich IS a Windows ME feature), and it failed, then giving us the EXACT error message you got could give some idea of where to go from here.

In the Meantime, your error messages would seem to indicated that you have some sort of confusion in files going on (I'm assuming that the "qqtask" should actually read "qttask" - if not then you have a virus!)

Reboot to Safe Mode
Open Device Manager
Remove ALL Display Adapters
Remove ALL Monitors
Reboot to Normal Mode - Windows will reinstall the required drivers - hopefully curing your problem with the screen size/display.

Have you made other attempts to reinstall ME recently???
How?

Noel Paton
(MS - MVP, Windows, 2002-2006)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
www.crashfixpc.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: