MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: HP Deskjet 450 Switching Ports
November 16, 2019, 02:18:45 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 16, 2019, 02:18:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: HP Deskjet 450 Switching Ports  (Read 1523 times)
Skatoolaki

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2005, 07:47:54 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:  Windows XP Pro
Problem Application Name & Version:  
Problem Hardware Make & Model:  HP Deskjet 450
Error Messages:  n/a

Our agency uses the HP Deskjet 450 for our field inspectors.  We install the printers with the default port to LPT1, but somehow in the course of use, the port will inadvertently switch back to DOT_4 (USB).  We then have to delete the current printer and re-install the driver directing it to the correct port (changing the port in Properties does not work).

My question is, does anyone know what is causing the switch?  I would just like to be able to tell my inspectors what "not" to do so this problem doesn't crop up - it takes a lot of their and my time for something that might be preventative.

Thanks in advance!

« Last Edit: February 01, 2005, 07:48:48 PM by Skatoolaki » Logged

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 08:27:22 PM »

Someone installing new drivers for the printer? That would probably switch the port, if they don't read correctly what to do.

Jord.
Skatoolaki

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 08:30:52 PM »

quote:
Originally posted by Jee

Someone installing new drivers for the printer? That would probably switch the port, if they don't read correctly what to do.

I had thought of that, Jee, but most of these folks are afraid to even *use* the CD player much less "stick something in it" and install; they'd never even know how to get to the printer folder besides.  

No, it seems to be something that just happens.  The one that came in to me today, the guy had printed a bunch of stuff this morning, shut down, booted back up later and tried to print and was getting the error.  From what he tells me he did nothing out of the ordinary and changed no settings.  

Thanks!

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 08:38:17 PM »

The thing I can think of, is that his CMOS battery is running low. In that case, a) he should get a warning about this when he boots up, while b) his PC loses all knowledge of what he changed in the BIOS. Even if he doesn't get a warning, it would mean that his PC loses sight of the LPT1: port.

Yet, thinking about it, playing with the idea... what if he has a corrupt LPT1: port that isn't always detected by the BIOS, or that changes places in the memory? That way the printer on LPT1: normal address 378-37F would just sit there, while the software might go for the next available port it knows that works.

Without information, there's nothing we can do, but for guess. So ask him if he sees any error messages, or let him try a new CMOS battery.

Jord.
Skatoolaki

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 08:42:29 PM »

quote:
Originally posted by Jee

The thing I can think of, is that his CMOS battery is running low. In that case, a) he should get a warning about this when he boots up, while b) his PC loses all knowledge of what he changed in the BIOS. Even if he doesn't get a warning, it would mean that his PC loses sight of the LPT1: port.

Yet, thinking about it, playing with the idea... what if he has a corrupt LPT1: port that isn't always detected by the BIOS, or that changes places in the memory? That way the printer on LPT1: normal address 378-37F would just sit there, while the software might go for the next available port it knows that works.

Without information, there's nothing we can do, but for guess. So ask him if he sees any error messages, or let him try a new CMOS battery.

Thanks - will talk with him & try your suggestions.  I guess the thing that has me stumped is that it's happened so many times to a number of people.

I appreciate your help.

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 08:45:04 PM »

if it's all on ONE PC only, it may be a reason. If it happens on multiple PCs, try a driver update!

Jord.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: