MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Broken Motherboard?
November 19, 2019, 11:41:22 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 19, 2019, 11:41:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  New Poll on our main page!
"My experience with Vista..."
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Broken Motherboard?  (Read 1775 times)
Machine Messiah

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2005, 04:52:33 AM »

Hey, I have a FX5700LE graphics card, and recently i tried to flash a 5700Ultra bios onto it, NVflash (the bios flashing dos command) gave me errors, which i proceeded to ignore and i rest my computer anyway (dumb i know). Luckily i saved a copy of the 5700le's bios on my boot Nvflash boot disk and since the computer won't start (since the 5700le has the wrong bios) i put in an old pci graphics card so i could start up and re flash the old bios onto the 5700le in the agp slot. Unfortuntely, now the computer won't really start, so i cant reflash the bios. When i push the power button, the fans start going (CPU, SYS, NB) but there is no POST beep, there is infact NO beeps. originally when just the 5700le was in the agp slot (once it had been "broken") i got 3 beeps, indicating that there was a graphics problem, but now even if the pci card is not in, i still get no beeps. Other things to note are that the lights on the onboard lan are still on after i "start up". I am using a ABIT KV7-V motherboard, an athlon Xp 1700+ (overclocked to a 2500+) 256mb DDR RAM, 2 maxtor HDD and as i said before, a geforce fx 5700le and a pci graphics card (not sure what one, i got it from a friend).

I would be incredibly grateful for any solutions people could offer me, i'm hoping i wont have to buy any new parts since the motherboard and graphics card were both bought new at the start of january.

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 01:25:46 PM »

Take out everything but for the CPU, RAM and a videocard. Try to boot up. Getting any beeps? Checked the speaker connection, that it didn't loosen or something? Try to swap the videocard to the other one and boot up again.

The thing with the motherboards of today is, if there is an AGP videocard in there, no matter if it's broken or not, while the BIOS checks for what videocard is in there (AGP before PCI here), it won't check for a PCI card when it detects the AGP card. You have to set that in the BIOS.

Jord.
Machine Messiah

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 11:39:52 PM »

Ok i tried taking everything out but a stick of 256mb ddr ram, my athlon xp cpu, and one pci video card, i made sure the system speaker was plugged into the motherboard (despite the fact that i'm not sure which way it goes in) tried to boot up, but once again was met with a frightening silence. Thanks again for your suggestion Jee, and if anyone has any more suggestions for how to solve this problem i would be more than grateful.

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 01:39:58 AM »

It's a case of all lights are on, but no-one's home. Your motherboard is in hardware heaven.
I can say this easily, for if your motherboard was fine, but your CPU was dead, with the speaker connected your mobo would beep wildly at you that the CPU was dead.

No beeps at all means motherboard broken.

Jord.
Machine Messiah

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 04:28:53 AM »

ah well, that sucks, i'll just have to buy a new one (mobo) which is actually much better than having a broken cpu ($70 vs $150-200; i'll take the $70), but thanks for all your help Jee.

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2005, 05:52:41 PM »

This topic has been resolved.

Will lock now.

Ross

You can't hug people with nuclear arms
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: