MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: HDD turns off on ASUS S1 (Intel 830 chipset)
October 15, 2019, 10:17:14 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 15, 2019, 10:17:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  New Poll on our main page!
"My experience with Vista..."
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: HDD turns off on ASUS S1 (Intel 830 chipset)  (Read 970 times)
Nasca

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 23, 2002, 12:01:35 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: WinXP
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model: Notebook ASUS S1300A
Error Messages:

Hello.

When there's no disk activity, hard drive instantly 'parks' its heads away with audible sound, and completely turns off after 10 seconds or so (it then takes about one second delay for it to go back online). During normal work process, HDD just keeps clicking all the time. I've tried different hard drives, produced by Fujitsu and Toshiba, the only difference was the ammount of delay between last disk access and the sound of disk moving its heads away and then turns off. In Power settings the disk is said not to turn off at all.
In technical support they say it's Intel 830 chipset problem. Is it really so?
I'm affraid that the described behavior may be dangerous for HDD itself, not to mention about disturbing sounds, which make it really difficult to work in a quiet room.

Please let me know, if it is really the problem of Intel 830 chipset, or maybe it is only the problem of S1300. Should I hope that future BIOS releases may fix this problem?

Thank you in advance.
Andew G. Myasnikov.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2003, 09:44:09 PM »

quote:
...In Power settings the disk is said not to turn off at all....
Are looking at these settings in Windows or in the BIOS setup?

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Nasca

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2003, 08:44:40 AM »

Hello, thank you very much for your reply!

In BIOS there are no options concerning power savings. And no matter what options I choose in Windows operating system, it is all the same, HDD clicks after short period of disk inactivity. Different hard drives behave slightly different - I tried two Fujitsu and one Toshiba - delay between last disk access and parking 'click' is about one second, and disk turns off completely in 10 seconds or even less. All power schemes in MS Windows provide minimal delay of 1 minute. In ASUS tech support they say it is a problem of Intel 830 chipset, they also say HDD doesn't behave like that on Linux, but I had no chance to check it.
I'm just affraid that this 'turn-off-and-back-on' mode can shorten HDD's life, and one day S.M.A.R.T. will show up. And the noise is quite annoying, too...
I would be very thankful if you could give me some advice.

Andrew

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2003, 04:54:53 PM »

Hi,

When you spoke to Asus, did you get the feeling the person you were talking to had experience or was new? Do you believe this person? If Asus says the problem is a combo of the chipset/Windows, then unfortunately there is not much you can do except keep backups. I could not confirm nor deny this reported problem.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: