MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Dual Hard Drive Problem
November 16, 2019, 01:27:23 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 16, 2019, 01:27:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Looking for cheap hardware and/or software?
Visit our new Online Store where you will be able to purchase from a reputable vendor by country.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dual Hard Drive Problem  (Read 1541 times)
nasTone

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2005, 02:04:02 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:XP (My System) & 98se (Wife's System)

I have a question that hopefully has an obvious answer. I have a Dell Dimension 8200 with 2 hard drives. Last night, I had removed my wifes hard drive from her computer, and removed my slave drive. I then put her drive in place of my slave drive and copied a few files over to my primary hard drive. XP never asked me to install drivers for her drive or anything. When I was done, I then removed her drive and replaced it with my slave. Now, my computer is very sluggish, and won't do much of anything. When I click on Control Panel and Add Hardware, I get an error message saying that I can't access it because it is currently installing a device. I assume it is trying to install the other hard drive. If I open the task manager, system shows 99 and CPU Usage is at 100%.

Please help me. I don't want to reformat my computer. If I need to, then I will, but someone must know an answer.

Thank you in advacnce!!!

Image removed.
Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 02:16:06 PM »

Does your BIOS recognize the correct (slave) harddrive?
Have you tried a reboot?
Have you tried booting into Safe Mode?
Can you check what Event Viewer, system log, says on this?

A harddrive shouldn't need a driver though.

Jord.
nasTone

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 02:19:47 PM »

BIOS calls out the slave drive as unknown. Reboot and safe mode do nothing.
I can't access anything on it. It is moving VERY slow. Thankfully I have a computer at work, otherwise I couldn't get online to ask these questions.

Image removed.
Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 02:25:05 PM »

Okay, when you get at home, try to force a detection of the harddrive through your BIOS.
If you know what brand harddrive it is, you can probably download a utility from the manufacturer's site to check the harddrive with. Do you know?

Jord.
nasTone

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 02:26:57 PM »

Does it matter that my computer is still trying to install my wifes hard drive, even though it is not currently installed? I have had my dual hard drive setup for about 1 year with no problems.Ever since last night, lets just say NIGHTMARES!!!! LOL

Do you think I should just remove the slave drive completly? Then, once the problems are ironed out, then reinstall it???
« Last Edit: February 02, 2005, 02:28:00 PM by nasTone » Logged

Image removed.
Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 02:31:21 PM »

It could matter, knowing how Windows drops dead over changing two characters in an ini file, I don't doubt it. Wink

But, the question remains, are you sure it's your wife's harddrive it is trying to install, not your own slave? Or are both those drives the same brand & model?

(Totally besides the point, but maybe it's time you installed a CD burner in your wife's PC, so copying files would go easier. If that's too expensive an option, think about networking.)

Jord.
nasTone

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 02:37:11 PM »

I already have a burner and the 2 PC's are networked. Here OS crashed and this was the only way I thought of to save some of her files before I reformatted her PC.

The hard drives are 2 different models. My slave is a Maxtor and her drive is a Seagate.

Image removed.
Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005, 03:54:02 PM »

To check the Seagate: http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/
To check the Maxtor: http://downloads.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor/en_us/downloads/powermax.exe

Jord.
nasTone

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2005, 08:07:31 PM »

Would it be possible that my PC is is thinking there are 2 "C" drives? My primary drive and my wifes primary drive are both assigned as the "C" which is typical but I thought that maybe this would be causing some type of conflict.

Image removed.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: