MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Urgent problem with hard drive
November 23, 2019, 02:47:13 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2019, 02:47:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Looking for cheap hardware and/or software?
Visit our new Online Store where you will be able to purchase from a reputable vendor by country.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Urgent problem with hard drive  (Read 1321 times)
DnStalker

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2005, 06:20:33 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Win XP Home
Problem Hardware Make & Model: IBM Hard Drive
Error Messages:
The disk in drive D is not formatted.  Do you want to format it now?

I did the supid thing and thought I could fix something. I reinstalled Win XP on my seond hard drive and installed the drivers and such, I rebooted and it said NTLDR is not recognised so I slaved the disk and put my original back into the system as a master and I got the same error! So i reinstalled XP on my secondary drive and my C drive isn't being recognised! This is my family hard drive and has a lot of important information and I'd like to know how I can get my data back asap instead of taking it into work.

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 06:24:19 PM »

Do you have both hard drives in the machine now? If so then check in your BIOS whether it recognises the hard drive there. Also make sure that the cables are securely plugged in and that the jumpers are in the correct position.

I presume Windows is working again??

Ross

You can't hug people with nuclear arms
DnStalker

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 06:46:33 PM »

The Drives are recognised and are both in the machine. I downloaded Get Data Back and I'm running through that to see if it works and the jumper setting is correct as shown on the back of the drive. However even when I set the first drive to master as it was before it failed to boot. So am I correct in thinking that running this program will solve my problem?

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 07:07:22 PM »

If the drive isn't seen by windows then I'm not sure if the program will work. Is there another machine that you could try the drive in? Can you try a different IDE cable?

Ross

DnStalker

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 08:28:48 PM »

It's not that the drive doesn't show, it displays but I can't get into it, it says that the drive must be formatted. I ran Get Data Back and it found everything, however it was the free version so i couldn't recover anything. ><

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2005, 09:38:03 PM »

Have a look at these links and see if you can find something that'll recover the data without having to pay for it. This stuff is either freeware or shareware and may not work so use any of them at your own risk.

Audit My PC
SnapFiles - Data recovery

Hope this helps.

Ross

« Last Edit: February 03, 2005, 09:40:18 PM by KaTaLy5t » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: