MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: jumpy display
November 23, 2019, 01:41:39 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2019, 01:41:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: jumpy display  (Read 923 times)
babsso

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2005, 08:33:01 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: windows xp home
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model: Nvidia GeForce4 Ti with AGP8X and LG L1915S TFT Monitor
Error Messages:  
[HR
Moving images on my screen seem to do millisecond stops and starts.  My screen saver is windows plus Aquarium and the fish swim nicely for a while, stop for a millisecond and then carry on.  This also happens in games, even simple ones like magic ball.  I have downloaded the latest NVidia driver and the latest monitor driver.  I use McAfee security suite which I have tried disabling but am never sure its not sneaking around in the background anyway. Can anyone advise why this is happening.  I am running two screens one 19 inch square and one 17inch widescreen is my problem that the graphics card needs replacing.  I am thinking of upgrading to a second 19 inch screen but not unless I can cure this problem.Undecided

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 09:47:45 PM »

Sounds like something else is running in the background. Something that uses disc-access. Check what's running in your Task Manager.

Jord.
babsso

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 01:05:24 PM »

Thanks for the help I have run task manager and looked at the processes.  I input some into google and then stopped some of them running via msconfig.  However I have some things running which are not reflected in startup on msconfig.  Does this mean they are windows files or is it possible to stop even more.  I regularly run adaware and use pop up stopper so I think I am clear of adware.

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2005, 03:23:50 PM »

Depends on what the files are that are in the list. If multiple svchost.exes, they are benign. Normally the svchost.exe is a file which holds the executed entries of multiple Dynamic Link Libraries (*.DLL).

Jord.
babsso

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2005, 04:19:59 PM »

I have worked on this most of the day and think it is largely resolved.  I only have 37 processes running now and most of those are mcafee or other items I can identify.  the cpu usage has fallen to generally below 10% and so I think its probably ok now.  Thanks for the help this is a great resource.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: