MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Just bought a WD 250gb hard drive doesn't work?
May 21, 2019, 05:06:39 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2019, 05:06:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  New Poll on our main page!
"My experience with Vista..."
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Just bought a WD 250gb hard drive doesn't work?  (Read 1936 times)
DJ Chad

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2005, 10:53:52 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows xp pro
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model: Western Digital 250GB hard drive

Having problems with windows xp pro detecting that big of a hard drive what is wrong? I'm new at this why can't windows xp pro detect a whole 250GB hard drive? pls help!!

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 11:00:33 PM »

If you don't have Service Pack 1 or 2, read: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013

If you do have Service Pack 1 or 2, add more detail. How much is being found?
What did you try to format it to? What did you use to partition the drive with? FAT32 cannot write to a drive that big, because the FAT32 partition information can only write to up to 137GB (I think). Above that you need to hack in more than one partition.

NTFS should be able to format it in one go, but that depends on what you used to partition it with.
Always try the manufacturer's harddrive utility before you let Windows do anything to it.

Jord.
DJ Chad

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 03:42:18 AM »

Jee:

I did it to a NTFS and I used partition magic software for it, but I would like the whole hard drive as 250gb... I have service pack 2 and still microsoft wasn't much help I think, Someone told me that I can have.. I don't know on if this information is correct or not but someone told me that if have I have a hard drive that big then I simply go to the site who makes that big of hard drive and get a software that lets the operating system handle 250gb hard drive is that true?? just to let you know that on the 250gb there will be no operating system on the 250gb hard drive... I have right now a 120gb split into 2 hard drives because I'm a DJ and I'm just looking for a really big hard drive for music and also music video's & dvd's as well...

Jee you've been alot of help
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jee remember this question that I'd ask you?

I also have a SVideo output on my video card.. this is an update on the video card question

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 02:50:37 PM »

What the person meant is that you use a drive overlay program. But those are usually used when your motherboard BIOS isn't capable of handling a drive that big.

Now, what brand harddrive do you have? If it is a Maxtor (and only if it IS a Maxtor), use Maxtor's Big Drive Enabler from this link.
Here's what it does: Maxtor's Big Drive Enabler is a one step executable that enables support for drives larger than 137 Gigabytes in Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 and XP Service Pack 1. This utility takes the guess work out of editing the Windows registry. The Big Drive Enabler fixes an operating system limitation. This utility is needed anytime a Hard Disk Drive larger than 137 GB is connected to the motherboard's ATA bus, regardless of any system BIOS that supports 48-bit LBA.

Jord.
DJ Chad

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 02:21:24 AM »

Jee:

How about Western Digital 250gb is there also a Big Drive Enabler for them as well? I've used WD before but not Maxtor is there a differance between the 2 company's just wondering?

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2005, 02:14:37 PM »

http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=3&swid=1

Scroll past the "Please make your selection below:" ... Read the whole page, then download & install it.

Jord.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: