MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Application Problems arrow Topic: Missing .DLL file
November 12, 2019, 02:16:59 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 12, 2019, 02:16:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Missing .DLL file  (Read 2023 times)
Gere

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2005, 06:10:25 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:Windows ME
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

I I was on a site of a musical group and it gave me the option to listen to some of their songs.  When I clicked "listen" it downloaded the song to a temporary file, but then I got the message:  "a required .DLL file PNCRT.DLL was not found" and another message:  "windows cannot access the specified device, path or file.  You may not have appropriate permission to access the item"  Shocked

This has happened to me on numerous occasions.  Sad  Is there any way that I can put the missing .DLL file back on my computer?  I have little knowledge about something like this and don't want to mess anything up.  I don't know how the .DLL file disappeared in the first place! Cry

Thanks.

Gere

« Last Edit: February 08, 2005, 07:08:42 PM by Ageless » Logged

w00dy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 09:25:09 PM »

Hi Gere,
Look at this site:
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;EN-US;Q190898

If you also do a web search for PNCRT.DLL plenty other stuff will come up
Hope that gets you sorted!
w00dy

Gere

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 11:43:12 PM »

Hi Woody:

Thanks for your reply.  I tried to do what you suggested and made it only this far:  I got to the control panel and add/remove programs, but could not reach step 2 which said:  on the windows setup tab, click Internet tools.  Internet tools was nowhere to be found!

Gere

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 11:50:26 PM »

If need be, you can find the file here, you'd need to unzip it. But then there's the question of where it should go. Try copying it to your Windows directory and Windows\system32 directory.

Jord.
Gere

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 01:49:52 AM »

I ended up on a PC Rescue site.  It said I could download a free scan to see about my missing .DLL file.  It said I could have it free for 7 days.  Just as I was in the midst of trying to sort this all out, I suddenly get a page on my PayPal site (I just barely signed up last week), saying "this invoice has already been paid".  I nearly fell off my chair.  What invoice...something to do with PC Rescue!  I sure hope not.  What have I gotten myself into.  I immediately emailed PC Rescue and PayPal, but now I am frantic til I hear from them.  Any ideas?

Gere

w00dy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2005, 12:02:25 PM »

Hello again
Found pncrt.dll on this site and it doesn
« Last Edit: February 08, 2005, 12:07:03 PM by w00dy » Logged

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2005, 03:48:43 PM »

quote:
Originally posted by Gere

now I am frantic til I hear from them.  Any ideas?

Gere

Did you click anything related to paypall? If not... I doubt they can auto-deduct from your account.

Anyway, both the links w00dy and I gave have a free version of the file. You can also try to upgrade to Windows Media Player 7, 8 or 9.

Jord.
Gere

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2005, 07:20:11 PM »

Thanks everybody for all your good advice and help.  I haven't had any unauthorized charges put on my PayPal, so I guess whatever I got onto the other night...was just something weird, but it really had me concerned.

Regarding the missing .DLL file, I am having a chap in next week to tweak up a few things on my computer and at that time I will get him to reinstall the file.  He is far more knowledgeable than I.  I am going to buy some new Norton products and get him to install them too...just not sure if it will be Norton SytemWorks again or Norton Internet Security.  Thanks for the information about AVG.  I appreciated that, but for the present time I think I will continue with Norton.  Will keep you posted!

If anyone has an opinion as to which is better...Norton Sytemworks or Norton Internet Security...please let me know.  Thanks.

Gere

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2005, 08:03:06 PM »

Errrm... you may want to read up on your decision on here: http://www.theregister.com/2005/02/10/symantec_uberbug/

Wink

Jord.
Gere

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2005, 03:25:35 AM »

Thanks for your comments Jee.  I can't help but wonder why such a fun hobby as this, has to be spoiled by people for no reason whatsoever!  It just doesn't make sense.  It doesn't seem that we can rely on anything anymore.

Anyhow Jee, appreciate the information.  Thanks.

Gere

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: