MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Computer Related Discussions arrow General Discussions arrow Topic: Purchase virus program, etc.
July 20, 2019, 03:44:58 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 20, 2019, 03:44:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Help us help you! Help us help you by helping out! The more people know about us, the more help will be available. Click here to find out how...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Purchase virus program, etc.  (Read 1006 times)
Gere

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2005, 06:38:19 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:
Problem Application Name & Version: Windows ME
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

I find it confusing when it comes to buying a new Norton product. Huh? I hope it's ok to discuss something like that here.  I have Norton Systemworks 2003 and also Norton firewall 2003 at the present time. Both subscriptions are due to expire next month.  I still plan to stick with Norton, but don't know which to buy. Someone said I don't need Systemworks....why not just get Norton Internet Security which includes a firewall.  Then someone else said I should buy Norton Anti-virus instead.

I find it all a bit mind boggling.  I realize it's a matter of choice, but is there a simple way to know what the best way to go would be?  I want to be well protected but don't want to waste money on features not needed for my home computer.

Thanks!

Gere

redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 10:28:52 PM »

To be brutally honest, I have to say that Norton is over-hyped and not as good as advertised.
If you want very good programs without having to pay a dime, I suggest heading over to Grisoft and download their excellent AV program AVG Free Edition. It kicks Norton's butt in every way and, what's better, is totally free of charge.
Then head over to Sygate and download their excellent firewall, which is also free.

Just a point to think about. Norton is a system resource hog. The latest versions will cripple your computer, especially seeing that you have Windows ME running on it. Norton is also offering a lot of false security, because their hybrid IS/SW(Internet Security/System Works) package is too keen on taking over your computer in places you certainly don't want it to.

Additional:
My brother used to have Norton Internet Security installed on his computer a while ago. His computer had slowed down quite horribly, so I decided to check it for viruses with NortonAV. It came up clean!!
I wasn't entirely convinced, so I went to Panda Activescan, which reported 12 different worms/viruses/trojans on his system, none of which could be removed in a simple manner. On top of that, when I swept through his system with Spybot Search&Destroy, it turned out that his computer had over 400 different spyware instances installed, so you can understand I was getting rather frustrated at this.
So I got my hands on HijackThis and started working my way through it's log and it took me the better part of a week to clean his system.
After that, I moved Black Ice Defender (not free, unfortunately) to his computer, along with AVG. Then I went to pains of uninstalling Norton completely. I must admit that I disconnected his computer from the network while this was going on.
So after working on killing Norton for 3 days, I was finally rid of it. Next I installed Black Ice and AVG, along with Spywareblaster (for prevention), Spywareguard (also for prevention), Thunderbird (for his emails) and Firefox. In the 7 months since, all he's ever been bothered with is tracking cookies. Which are easily cleared out. If you absolutely insist on paying for Norton, I suggest you install something additionally as backup, such as Antivir, Avast or AVG.

Conclusion:
This is obviously your call, but given my previous experience with Norton, I can't warn people enough about using it.
Good luck.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: