MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: New Mobo Issues
November 12, 2019, 01:48:39 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 12, 2019, 01:48:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
12th Anniversary Celebrating 12 Years! (1997 - 2009) 12th Anniversary
Thanks to ALL that make this site what it is!
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Mobo Issues  (Read 3695 times)
Matt

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: February 08, 2005, 06:56:35 PM »

i just installed my abit NF7, and i have everything connected...turned it on, the fans come on and then it just shuts off. LED1 (5vSB) stays red but the LED2 (VCC) comes on green but then goes off.... is my power supply bad?

im running a AMD Athlon XP 2000+ processor & 256 pc2100 DDR DIMM

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 07:02:21 PM »

Care to give an explanation of what the 5VSB and VCC abbreviations stand for? You have the motherboard manual.

Jord.
Matt

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 07:18:14 PM »

(5vSB): This LED lights up when the power supply is connected with power source.
(VCC): This LED lights up when the system power is on.

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005, 07:23:13 PM »

In that case, make sure the 24pin ATX connector is pressed firmly onto the motherboard.
The square 4pin 12V extra connector doesn't need to be attached for that CPU.

Try another cable between the PSU and the wall socket. Try another wall socket.

If after all these tests the 5V LED still stays red, then yes, I would assume a bad power supply unit (PSU). How "strong" is it? 250W, 300W, higher? Of any brand that you can see?

Jord.
Matt

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 07:30:47 PM »

its a OKIA-350w PSU

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2005, 07:34:52 PM »

should be powerful enough to run that. So the socket and other cable test, did you do them? Don't say yes, impossible in 7 minutes plus reply. Wink

Anyway, you can test if it's the PSU by attaching another motherboard to it and turning on the power.
But it could also be the motherboard, or any of the connectors you put onto it in the wrong way. Most of the connectors for speaker, keyboard etc. use the 5V rail. Please make sure you connected all the connectors the right way and on the right pins.

Jord.
Matt

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2005, 08:49:47 PM »

does the same thing with the new power supply....i guess its not that.  video card fan spins kinda slow and stumbles... the only things that i have attached to the mobo is the PS, monitor and keyboard. heres the mobo i bought. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?Sku=A458-2007

Matt

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2005, 03:49:47 PM »

figured out the power issue.... i switched out my new ram for my old sticks of ram and it seems to be running fine.  i say "it seems" to be running fine because I CANT SEE ANYTHING! i swear, its one problem after another... 1 step forward, 2 steps back.  i have plugged in the monitor to another computer and works fine, i dont have another video card to test on this board since my other computers have onboard video... i guess a quick answer to my question would be to go out and buy a new AGP video card right?

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2005, 04:10:32 PM »

No, I doubt it's even that. If your motherboard were okay and your videocard was broken, with the speaker attached it would beep like mad at you that it couldn't find a working videocard.

So s**** that. I think it's your mainboard.

Jord.
Matt

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2005, 04:14:23 PM »

well i unpluged the video card from the mainboard and its still not beeping... send it back or what?

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2005, 05:34:55 PM »

No beeps at all always means a dead mainboard, so yes, it's under warranty. Send it back, explain why you're doing that and you should get a new one. Do write down the serial number though, I've had it on occassion that they'd sent me the same board back. Wink

Jord.
Matt

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2005, 01:21:37 AM »

lol nice, well just for ****s and giggles i purchased a new video card today... Abit recomends ATI so thats what i got... ATI Radeon 9550.  guess what.... STILL NOTHING!  i need anger management, really bad.  ive been working on this damn computer for a couple months now.  the only thing that hasnt been replaced is the case and the cpu... everthing else is brand new!

Matt

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2005, 01:27:53 AM »

do u think i should stick with the NF7-S2 and the AMD Athlon XP 2000+ or should i get the KV7-V with a AMD Athlon XP 2900+ cpu?  the KV7-V with cpu is $119.00 from tiger http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1197962&Tab=0&NoMapp=0

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2005, 01:41:42 AM »

Since you're under warranty to get a new board for free, why spend another 119 dollars on yet another motherboard? Although the mobo/CPU in one package sounds like a great deal.

But I am fairly sure it's not your CPU that's broke, as your motherboard would also beep madly at you if it were a broken CPU. Besides, the CPU uses 12V, while it's your 5V rail that has the problems on the board.

Jord.
Matt

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2005, 02:15:34 AM »

I SWEAR!!!! well i removed everything boxed it all up ready to go back...wasnt satisfied that i did everything i could so i took it back out and benched it again... Plugged everything in, made sure the cpu and HS was seated properly, benched it on the box before installing it in the case. turn it on and a few seconds later i get the two tone seirn... ive reseated the cpu and HS 3-4 times now, each time removing the old thermal compound with 99% alcohol and reapplying the compound. everything is brand new except CPU which is 6months old and the case... ive installed three differnet sticks of ram in different slots and still the same beep. the 4 pin atx cable is attached and i have cleared the cmos more times then i can count.. ive run outta ideas

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 

Jump to: