MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Pages load at a toads pace(slow)
December 08, 2019, 08:43:57 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 08, 2019, 08:43:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pages load at a toads pace(slow)  (Read 1083 times)
crow

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 26, 2002, 09:51:49 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

My computer is very slow. When I try to shut it gives me messages that say computer is waiting.etc. I keep getting fatal error messages.
Windows 98 compaq presario 5340

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2003, 07:40:37 PM »

Hi,

The more software you install the slower your system will get. If your running Win98SE, try doing a Diagnostics Startup to load only what Win98 needs to run and see if the performance gets better.

1. Start > Run
2. Type 'msconfig' (without quotes) and hit ok
3. On "General" tab select "Diagnostic Startup" and hit OK
4. Reboot

Don't forget to set back to Normal Mode once done testing

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2003, 12:47:59 PM »

Oh how I simpathise with your situation.

Download fix from MS.com to correct shut down issue for win 98, it worked for me.

Go to Analogx.com and download from the system section 'maxmem' and 'cachebooster' (freeware) and install immediately, Read the readmes thoughly for best results.

Also change mouse and keyboard to USB and then update to USB 2.0 driver. wow, speed at last

I totally disagree with the reasoning that alot of software slows your computer. It is in fact the failure of Win 98 to adequately allow an informed adjustment of the caches, ram management and the swap file size and location.

Also you have to regularly clean out your registry, defrag the registry and HD's (Ontrack fix it utilities 4.0 is the best yet)

Programs include Winbooster, winhacker and tweak will help you alot

I'm sorry for being tough but I have over 800 applications on my system with no loss of performance.

This is not to say that a good deal of Computer house keeping is not required. At least 50% of your time on big systems requires housekeeping. Lets say if your up to your ears in temp files then don't open your mouth.

Keep me informed as I have been there and come out the otherside with more appz and blistering speed than you could poke a lite pen at.

Hyper Berty

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2003, 01:25:35 PM »

Hi rghasenohr,

You may disagree with my statement that "the more software you install the slower your system will get" because you tweak your system to keep performance high, but the reality of things is that a large majority of end users do not tweak their systems and their performance suffers as more apps are installed and their registry gets bloated and their system fills with DLLs. Also not everyone is running the latest and greatest in hardware which also has a impact on performance when many apps are installed and the systems are not tweaked. I agree that Windows does a poor job at memory management and does nothing to "tweak" itself as far as adjustment of the caches are concerned and that some tuning is needed but not everybody has the knowledge to do it.

If a user had over 800 apps installed and did not tweak (which most don't), wouldn't you say that the performance of that system would suffer Huh?

Hi crow,

If you're running Windows 98 Second Edition, take a look at this Microsoft Article for your shutdown problem:
Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Supplement
Download the Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Supplement file and install it.
If this doesn't do it check out the link at the bottom of the "Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Supplement" link above named "Click here to view a list of shutdown articles"

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2003, 06:18:15 PM »

Dear Crow,

It is a well known fact that computers don't come with instruction manuals that cover everything.
It's up to you what you do next. All I can do is share my proven story with you. Use my solution and it will probably fix your slow heap once and for all. If it does not, then you still will have seen a new side of computing that you may not have known about before you came to this forum and the associated new directions that it will take you.

Good luck

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: