MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Internet & Email arrow Topic: Webpages won't open
November 20, 2019, 06:53:13 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2019, 06:53:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Article Writers We are looking for quality, informational articles to add to our Computer Articles
Please contact us if you are interested in submitting some....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Webpages won't open  (Read 2944 times)
Hoarl

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2005, 06:17:20 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows XP Home Edition
Problem Application Name & Version: IE (not sure which edition)
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

Hi there,
I have been having problems with accessing a few sites.  Most sites work just fine, but a couple won't let me get onto them.  The first site is www.hotmail.com.  When I enter this in my address bar and hit enter, the webpage goes blank and the address changes to http://loginnet.passport.com/login.srf?id=2&svc=mail&cbid=24325&msppjph=1&tw=0&fs=1&lc=1033&_lang=EN
The problem is it won't ever actually come up on my screen.  Another webpage I have noticed problems with is www.weathernetwork.ca.  I am able to access the main webpage of this site, but when I attempt to click on one of the cities for a detailed weather forcast, the address bar updates to a new address for the desired webpage, the screen goes blank, and the page won't be displayed.  This problem only started occurring a couple of days ago, and I haven't changed any settings that could have caused the problem (that I know of).  I have ran virus scans, Ad-Aware scans, and spybot and I found problems but none of the fixing of things solved my problem.  When running the virus scan off of the trendmicro site, two files couldn't be cleaned or deleted.  They had the virus called Java Bytever.B and the files were VB.class and Dummy.class.

Thanks a lot for any help,
Jeff

redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 07:24:45 PM »

Try going to Panda Activescan and let it scan your computer. It needs IE to run, as it's reliant on ActiveX.
Following that, read this thread thoroughly and follow it's guidelines on how to run Hijack This.

Hoarl

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 08:17:41 PM »

I couldn''t run the active scan because it wouldn't open up.  I think the problem on the computer is to do with running java things, but I still don't know how to fix it.  Should I run the Hijackthis and try to fix it that way or is there another possible solution.  I tried reinstalling the java software, and it didn't seem to help.

Thanks,
Jeff

redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 10:18:51 PM »

Run Hijack This and post the results in a new thread here
Our helpful moderators will advise you on which steps to take.
Don't delete anything that Hijack This brings up just yet, because most of the things it will show are essential to your operating system.

Hoarl

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2005, 11:34:16 PM »

Thanks a lot redaxe, I posted my results in the other forum.  I guess if a mod comes by, they can close this post and keep my other one open.

Thanks,
Jeff

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2005, 07:04:07 PM »

Excuse me to butt in, but it's not a Java problem you've got, it's Javascript. There a big difference between the two languages. Java is a language on its own, Javascript only runs scripts in browsers.

Seeing how the HJT part did clean your computer up but didn't help with the actual problem, please read this link to the MSKB. Then follow the link from there to download & install the latest scripting engine for your operating system.

Edit: For a better understanding of the differences between Java and Javascript, read this.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2005, 07:10:28 PM by Ageless » Logged

Jord.
Hoarl

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2005, 07:52:18 PM »

Thanks a bunch Jee, that worked out for me.  Much appreciated.

Smiley

You guys are awesome,
Jeff

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2005, 07:56:50 PM »

You're welcome, Hoarl.

If you need any more help, ever, we're here. Smiley

Jord.